Is anyone else annoyed by the word "veggies"?

It’s veg, as in the first syllable of vegetable (or veggie)

Yeah, on this one, when I rarely go check facebook and I see someone, an adult, posting a picture of their food, with this word, it makes me stabby.

Oops! Dammit!

Actually you’re right there; I don’t think ‘vegs’ is a word in English. My wife or I might say when one of us is off to the grocery store “don’t forget the veg for dinner”.

Veg can certainly be plural, as in the classic “meat and two veg”.

A US colleague of mine described the flat italian bread product as “za”.

She was someway into her order-taking before I understood what the hell she was on about.

I’m not saying she should have been sacked on the spot, that’s for others to decide.

I think the first person I heard use the word “veg” was Austin Powers and I think he was talking about his testicles.

Right. You wouldn’t ask for meat and two ‘vegs’; it’s already plural in that context.

It could be worse - someone could be saying it “veg-Eh-tahbles”.

Obligatory Parks and Rec clip

Za? Is that like ‘leetspeak’ or something? (A dialect that apparently had some popularity about a decade ago).

Anyone familiar with the musical Something Rotten?

From the song, “Omelette”:

Lots of words are routinely shortened or abbreviated, e.g. “info” for information. I don’t mind.

Veggies is fine, sammies is marginal.
Vin-eh-GAH-rette, however, should be a punishable offense requiring bread and water rations.

My friends and I used “za” to mean “pizza” in college in Illinois back in the mid 1970s. This article says Barry Popik trace it to “Midwestern college slang from 1966, 1967 and 1968” which fits my experience, and says its type of slang called “clipping”.

But never both, surely.

Are you okay with “veejay” or “veejayjay” for vagina?

The only contact I had with it was a magazine article about incomprehensible college slang. The only other bit I remember was that parents were 'rents.

What about ‘pressies’ for presents? I’ve heard folks from Down Under say that too.

And how do we all feel about calling tests . . .

oh, never mind.

I’m annoyed that people say “vagina” when they mean “vulva.”

“Za” for pizza is something I hate.