Is anyone getting weird mail at their SDMB e-mail ?

I did a search on my username on Google a couple of days ago, and was surprised to find that it included a link to my registation information at the temporary board, which included my email address. (I left my address unrestricted at the time I registered).

Full headers, with my email addy obscured :

X-Hd:
newsletter@raraavisband.com Sun Apr 28 06:40:25 2002
Return-Path:
<newsletter@raraavisband.com>
Delivered-To:
froggy-reprise@xxxx.com.au
Received:
(qmail 24160 invoked from network); 27 Apr 2002 19:14:13 -0000
Received:
from mail.webhostingprovider.com (207.114.164.37) by xxxx.com.au with SMTP; 27 Apr 2002 19:14:13 -0000
Received:
from nts6.webhostingprovider.com ([207.114.164.36] verified) by mail.webhostingprovider.com (CommuniGate Pro SMTP 3.5.7) with ESMTP id 7225619 for reprise@xxxx.com.au; Sat, 27 Apr 2002 12:08:56 -0700
Received:
from mail pickup service by nts6.webhostingprovider.com with Microsoft SMTPSVC; Sat, 27 Apr 2002 12:06:45 -0700
<newsletter@raraavisband.com>
To:
<reprise@xxxx.com.au>
Subject:
Exciting News from Raraavis and The Fantasy Horns
Date:
Sat, 27 Apr 2002 12:06:45 -0700
MIME-Version:
Content-Type:
multipart/alternative; boundary="----=_NextPart_000_6368_01C1EDE4.001AD750"
X-MimeOLE:
Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2600.0000
Message-ID:
<NTS6xvWvqzAoa2JB1nd000018f0@nts6.webhostingprovider.com>
X- OriginalArrivalTime:
27 Apr 2002 19:06:45.0442 (UTC) FILETIME=[AC8CC220:01C1EE1E]
In addition to the emails originating from newsletter@raraavisband.com (1), I have 4 from badrats@badrat.com, and one each from (please, do NOT indicate if one of these people is you) Steven & Teri Hines, jpeeler, dlynch1, and ginawilkerson.

I haven’t gotten any response to an “unsubscribe” request.

I never get any email. :frowning:

I’ve alerted the admins to what’s going on here. I’m getting these as well. What we need to know at this point is if anyone is getting these whose e-mail address has never been public. This will let us know if someone is just searching the board or if someone has found a way to hack into the database.

Thanks.

I’ve gotten a few that said “remove” and “unsuscribe” in the subject line.

I’ve deleted them so I don’t know who sent those.

I’ve gotten a slew of them, too. But my email is available here.

Regarding the unsubscribe, I sent an email to the address in the email I got, and got a response back requesting confirmation of the unsubscribe request, so it appears to be a legit newsletter rather than a spam generator.

I’m wondering if that is where they are getting the addresses. I recall getting spam right after registering at the temp board, saw a post from someone else about it. I changed my profile to have the email address hidden, and didn’t get any more after that. I have always had my email public at this board, and never got spam before.

If this problem continues, perhaps it might be worthwhile to conduct a poll to see if it’s people who registered at the temp board who are getting it.

My email addy’s always been available, and I’m not getting any (rim-shot). I wasn’t signed up at the temp board if that makes a diff.

I never signed up on the temp board, but I have been getting them.

I got them - enough to fill up my email box to 100%. I was never registered on the temp board, but my Email is publicly available here.

Mailer-daemon response to unsubscribe request :

Hi. This is the qmail-send program at froggy.com.au.
I’m afraid I wasn’t able to deliver your message to the following addresses.
This is a permanent error; I’ve given up. Sorry it didn’t work out.

<newsletter-unsubscribe@raraavisband.com>:
207.114.164.37 does not like recipient.
Remote host said: 572 newsletter-unsubscribe@raraavisband.com host name is unknown
Giving up on 207.114.164.37.

— Below this line is a copy of the message.

I’ve emailed steverichards@sobevideo.com (the guy who publishes the newsletter); awaiting a response.

BTW, I received the email from ginawilkerson about 2 minutes before the newsletter hit my inbox, if that makes any difference. The email from ginawilkerson had an attachment which I haven’t opened.

I signed up for the temp board but never completeled registration (I don’t think I ever got a confirmation email, and if I did I didn’t respond to it because by that time I had decided not to bother anyway).

I’ve seen two different addresses given to unsubscribe - newsletter-unsubscribe@raraavisband.com and newsletter-off@raraavisband.com. I sent to both of them about getting off the list and have got neither any response nor any further emails from the list.

So, what I gather from a cursory examination of long-time posters here with e-mail addresses available for the looking is:

Some got spammed, some didn’t. I know that isn’t helpful.

I’m up to 65 emails as of 6:30 tonight. I hate to go back and look for current numbers.

I emailed both, too racin. I really don’t think the unsubscribe requests had anything to do with my not having received anymore emails though.

All of mine were received within a 15 minute period, withthe exception of the last one which was obviously someone who’d received the newsletter asking WTF.

Just got a mailer-daemon on the second addy :

<newsletter-off@raraavisband.com>:
207.114.164.37 does not like recipient.
Remote host said: 572 newsletter-off@raraavisband.com host name is unknown
Giving up on 207.114.164.37.
Guess I’ll wait to see if the Steve Richards addy is valid…

I’ve always had a lot of spam, but my spam doesn’t seem like anything like what you guys are talking about. Of course, that might have something to do with the fact that I registered a few days after the boards were back up. My email address is public here, and I sometimes check the “email notification” box… does that mean I need to now conceal my email address? Hope not, but you can never be too careful!

Aww… poor you. DO you want me to forward you my spam and non-important email? :stuck_out_tongue: (Just kidding, I would NEVER do anything like that!)

I might have some info about that email that could be helpful in tracking it down.

1 - I don’t think I registered for the temp boards but not sure
2 - The spam went to a email account that used to be registered w/ the SDMB but I have since changes it. THe new email account did not get spammed.

I’ve always had a lot of spam, but my spam doesn’t seem like anything like what you guys are talking about. Of course, that might have something to do with the fact that I registered a few days after the boards were back up. My email address is public here, and I sometimes check the “email notification” box… does that mean I need to now conceal my email address? Hope not, but you can never be too careful!

Aww… poor you. DO you want me to forward you my spam and non-important email? :stuck_out_tongue: (Just kidding, I would NEVER do anything like that!)

Just in :

We’re very sorry for the problem. This was a test that went awry I’m
afraid. We’ll get you off the list and are trying to figure out what
happened. Very sorry for the trouble its caused you and others.

Steve Richards

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Saturday, April 27, 2002 7:54 PM
To: steverichards@sobevideo.com
Subject: remove, unsubscribe

Dear Steve

Like many other people, I am receiving many emails from a newsgroup to which
I never subscribed.

Please rectify this situation immediately.

Many thanks

Perhaps the admins would like to contact Steve and explain why we are all so concerned.

The only common thread here seems to be our SDMB membership. Only a couple of the other people who’ve received these emails are even in my contact list, so it’s a little worrying.

I got 46 of the. FORTY-SIX. I have not been at the SDMB in quite awhile due to a minor user-name problem. Without looking first. I started my own thread on it in GQ. Sad to hear all of you got it as well, but glad you all are talking about it.