Is "Die Hard" a Christmas Movie?

Yippie-ki-yay, baby Jesus.

Clearly it’s not a Christmas movie in the way The Santa Clause or Miracle on 34th Street are Christmas movies, but it’s a Christmas movie in that people have fond memories of watching it around Christmas and have Christmas traditions that include watching it.

is Jingle All The Way a Christmas movie?

-there’s no talk about Jesus

• there’s no big family gathering
  • there’s no talk of the significance of the day itself (in fact the movie never even progresses to Dec. 25)

I say, no

Of course it’s a Christmas movie. It takes place during Christmastime. It has many references to Christmas, including holiday music.

Going out on a limb but is “It’s a Wonderful Life” a Christmas movie? Christmas just happens to be the day that he jumps off the bridge.
The rest of the movie had nothing to do with Xmas and in fact if anything it’s only vaguely spiritual.

Favorite Christmas movie is “the Ref”.

If Diehard is a Christmas movie, then so is Eyes Wide Shut.

One determined man stands alone against crass materialism to aid the people he cares about?

Yeah, it’s a Christmas movie.

“What’d he say? Something about a double cross?”

There are only two Christmas movies I can tolerate: Die Hard and The Ref.

Obviously, I don’t watch either while there are kids around. :slight_smile:

I saw Mommy boffing Santa Claus! And the entire city of New York! :eek: :stuck_out_tongue:

It’s a shame that you deprive them of a classical education :smiley:

Don’t forget that our hero saves the day because he’s got a weapon taped to his back with (presumably) Scotch tape from the present wrapping. So it’s like he’s a gift. He’s not John McClane, he’s John Misfit Toy!

It even has a Christmas Miracle! The fat cop is able to shoot people again!

Of course it is! It’s text book Christmas movie material:

Coming home for Christmas
Family conflict
Tragedy that allows conflicter to become hero
Reunited family
Christmas miracle (See Zebra’s post)
Everything is OK

Sprinkled with humor.

It’s one of my all time favorite movies.

I really thought it was only our family that included Die Hard in our rotation of Christmas movies. We also include Long Kiss Goodnight and Gremlins.

The few times we may sing Christmas caroles, when we get to “Let it snow” the only lyrics we use are:

Oh the weather outside is frightful
dum, da dum, delightful

+1, except for the “only vaguely spiritual” part. :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ve watched Die Hard on Christmas Eve annually for 20 years.

It’s one of a handful of “favourite” movies for me.

I obviously vote Yes on this poll, and have made this very contention, to friendly ridicule, for many years.

“Come on, Theo, it’s Christmas. It’s the time for miracles.”

Damn, I love this movie.

I didn’t even remember that it took place at Christmas time. So, no.

Yes, it is a Christmas movie. And should be watched every Christmas eve as part of a double feature with Lethal Weapon.

Not too long ago, I watched Lethal Weapon again for the first time since its original release. It has a few actors in common with Die Hard, and I think a couple of the more-important production people, also.