Is everyone ailing? Sickos, share the misery.

January was my worst month in a long time for being sick. NYE started with me coming down with the worst cold I’ve had in ages, which lasted about 10 days. The month ended with me having a horrible stomach ache couple with a fever (I though it was appendicitis), and it kept me twisting and tossing in bed for 36 hours straight. I’m still weak and recovering from that.

Aside from a serious cold and a case of gastroenteritis, I haven’t had any problems at all. In fact, I’m the last one standing at work.

I have an excellent immune system. :smiley:

Well, compared to others in this thread, this is nothing, but I have an annoying cough. I got rid of a cold a little over a month ago, but the cough is still hanging on after about three and a half weeks. It’s annoying, because it’s little enough that I’m not actually sick, but big enough to be uncomfortable. Bleagh.
All in all, this year has been good in terms of staying healthy. Thanks, immune system!

I’ve been lucky and only had a 48-hr bug a couple of weeks ago, but my husband spent 9 days in the hospital when the flu he had turned into pneumonia. The bright spot? His very real and panic attack-inducing phobia of needles was cured.

Huh, you come from a country where people are evil, EVIL enough to waste chocolate just to prove how hot it is. Bastards!

xkcd: Activities while sick.

Too bad the aquarium pump thing wouldn’t work.

I’ve been bizarrely lucky. I’m on immunosuppressive drugs, I have quite bad asthma, and for my work I commute via multiple tube lines to teach people from all over the world. I should be a haven for minor illnesses.

But not a one for a year or so. I am extremely happy about this, but it’s strange, isn’t it?

Sprung a nosebleed today that filled a hand towel to sopping while waiting to see if it stopped or it needed a trip to the ER. It stopped, but now I have a really nasty bloody towel presoaking. I hate dry air. I go through 2 to 3 of the 3 oz saline sinus sprays a month trying to keep from this crap. :mad:

Flu. Coughing and stuffiness and chills since Friday. I HATE BEING SICK!!!

Gooey post-nasal drip. If you concentrate with enough attention, you’ll discover that it has its own extremely subtle flavor notes. Much time can then be spent on breaking down the components of the mucus into fundamental flavors, like you would at a wine tasting or perfume sampling.

White raisins, cedar, with a hint of pork-and-beans. An initial impression of cloves on first swallow, migrating to tanned leather infused with old pineapple lifesavers.

And can you comment on the nuances of colors as well? I can only manage the pale yellow variety.

Also, there is some stuck congestive goo in my inner ears making me rather vertiginous today.

Why is everybody so sick lately?! Is it the weather, or what?!

I blame the CA drought for what’s wrong out here. Can’t account for the rest of the nation.

Nothing, so far. I’m very careful at this time of year about touching public surfaces like bathroom door handles, faucet handles, paper towel handles, doorknobs, etc. We deliver Meals on Wheels at a retirement building; next to every elevator is a dispenser for bacteria goop, which I use every time I walk past. When out in public, I make a conscious effort to not touch my face, and wash my hands as soon as I come home. I always thought this was paranoid behavior, but year before last I had four separate colds of varying intensity. This past year none.

Aaand Lily is sick now. Croupy cough, fever, congestion. Poor little lamb just wants to snuggle and drink water or juice, but the 2-year-old wants her to play in the worst way. And I can’t divide and conquer by sending one to be spoilt by a grandma, because I can’t risk sending the plague to either of their homes.

Was fading fast yesterday afternoon at work, very fatigued, mild fever, nose running a little bit, was certain I was on the verge of a full blown cold or flu.

Woke up this morning in pain. Lower back mostly (this morning), but intermittently everywhere. Called in sick. Nose isn’t running, temp normal, but I fucking hurt everywhere, mostly upper back (now). Taking full Flexerils left over from last year’s back problems, and still not making much of a dent. Sleeping tonight should be ever so much fun.

I have osteoporosis in the upper spine; can’t move my head without hearing bones grind. I have persistent, intractable muscle pain and cramping in the neck and shoulders, and today it’s killing me. I had a massage and it’s still killing me.

Pain sux.

My boy started day care October 1.
Since then I have had 5 colds. Five. Fucking. Colds.
I have been on antibiotics twice.
I am currently getting over a sinus infection.
Monday my wife came home and said a coworker came in with strep. Today she woke up with a sore throat.
If I get strep on top of all this crap I’m going postal.

Just don’t lick the envelopes…we don’t want your Dreaded Lurgy thankyew. :stuck_out_tongue:

But I hear you about the child-care thing. Last year my two grandchildren started in child-care two days a week, and suffered previously unknown coughs, colds and snotty noses (with the odd gastric bug thrown in for good measure). I don’t think there was a single week that they both attended together for the two days!

And being generous and sharing little souls, gave each and every one of them to me. I felt truly blessed.

:frowning:

I used to do that to my mother (then a stay-at-home mom), bring bugs home from school and give them to her. She told me that when she expressed a wish for me to share, that wasn’t what she had in mind.

She eventually took to writing excuse notes for “Typhoid Mary”. :slight_smile:

(Small town, and my mother has VERY distinctive handwriting. The school staff knew who the note was for, and found the whole thing funny.)