Is "Harry and Meghan" worth my time?

Here’s a review; not very enthusiastic.

As a biracial person who has tried to succeed in life but has had to deal with a whole lot of shit in my life, I find this objectional, factually incorrect and offensive. She has been vilified for no reason other than, well, what exactly? I mean, here you are maligning her for. . . again, what exactly?

Hey don’t take it personally you’re not the Duchess. I don’t like her pity party personality that I find fake, self serving and revengeful.

When she found the British aristocracy wrapped up in colonial racism, she and Harry appeared to be ushering in a new era bringing in change with the younger working royals. Nope she was outta there and now is rehashing her personal experiences over and over again as she shelters in place.

Wow. Imagine being hurt and offended by her new family being racist! Yes, I absolutely do take racism personally. What you do to one, you do to us all.

Wow that’s a heavy burden to bear. I’m sorry your hurting so much there is a lot of hate for people in the world.

So what happened with her and Harry’s commitment, Harry has said he’s was raised in I forget which country in Africa, said he loves the people and wanted to live and work there. Why aren’t they there?

NM I’ll say why. She’s weak sauce. A pampered bougy Cali girl.

Mostly, her personality and the way she has reportedly treated those around her, and her family, and her friends. I really don’t think her race comes into it, many people (including myself) had no idea she was mixed race from merely looking at her.

Bi-racial people are not immune from being dreadful people.

I keep hearing she was dreadful to people but I do not see any evidence of this. None. What I DO see is people basically calling her uppity. Two of you here in this thread, even. Please tell me all the dreadful things she has done.

She and Harry did, in fact, leave. That only made her even MORE uppity. Talk about why they left? Dreadful! The royal family is known for their kindness and welcoming attitude. They never treat newcomers badly-- it is that awful, awful Meghan with her. . . um. . . dreadfulness that is to blame.

Oh please with the uppity crap. “Institutional gaslighting” crickey.

You make it sound as if she was a huge people pleaser and determined to adapt to her new elevated, iconic role in the rarified air of a monarchy. I never saw it. Give her role to any number of other smart successful women whatever ethnicity and they would’ve been splendid. But Harry can take a lot blame for rolling over and playing dead.

I’m still looking for examples of her dreadfulness. Why the hate? Was she sitting there eating crackers like she owned the place?

It’s so much easier if you start from the position of “I don’t like her.” Then you can pretend that anything she does is the post-hoc justification for it.

If you want hard evidence of it then you are basically limited to the very small amount of information that leaks out of the palace. They famously have a policy of not commenting on accusations or talking about internal issues. There is however, pretty strong evidence of formal complaints made by palace staff against Meghan for “bullying”. Would that count as evidence for you?

Of course, If you are happy to take Harry and Meghan’s word for it, then the series will provide you with all the self-justifying evidence you need and I’m sure you’ll be on their side.

Is that really what they are calling her? or what you imagine they are calling her.

At this point - and I have seen 3 episodes so far - I don’t feel like any one aside from the gutter press have done much wrong. Meghan tried hard to fit in, the Royals seemed quite welcoming of her. I haven’t heard any accusations of actual racism amongst the family. My own experience when Meghan joined the family is that the general British public were pleased - glamorous American come to add some relevance to the family, good for Harry. You only have to watch the crowds at their wedding.

Does that mean it was all happy families? No reason it should be, we can’t just assume Catherine and Meghan are going to become bosom pals. Harry does like to stir things up while William feels he needs to act the part of a future King. I can imagine resentment boiling on both sides.

But the press are disgusting. They will find any little thing to drag women coming into the family through the mud - they did it to Diana, they did it to Sarah F, and Catherine (remember Waity Katy?), now they turned on Meghan, who gave them so many trump cards - American, actress, bi-racial, weird dad, estranged half sitter. The headlines wrote themselves. What a bunch of c**nts.

Or vice-versa. Just start from the position of liking her and then pretend that every accusation against her is unfounded, is a result of racism and that every claim the couple makes is gospel truth.

The only accusation I’ve seen so far is that she is dreadful. I’m still looking for actual dreadfulness. Why is she dreadful? What has she done? Please elaborate.

Is anyone really making that claim? Or is it what you imagine they’re claiming? :roll_eyes:

I don’t claim to “like” Meghan. so your attempt to flip the narrative doesn’t apply. I have, however, seen a lot of virulent hatred directed at her with little more to justify it than “I just don’t like her” and little effort to articulate it further. Is it racism? Some of it. Some of it is just regurgitating the media smears against her without really thinking about it. Regardless, most of it appears to be unjustified.

So I’m not so much defending H&M here as opposing a deliberate and active campaign of lies about them. I happen to think such things are bad. YMMV.

You suggested that people start from the view that they don’t like Meghan and filter the facts to fit that view.

I agree, some people do that. It is human nature, just as it is human nature to have a liking for someone and have that also skew the perception of truth or what someone is willing to believe.

Never suggested you did, you are taking it personally.
Just as your comment was aimed at a non-specific person that dislikes Meghan, mine was aimed at a non-specific person who likes her.

I personally trust neither the press nor Harry and Meghan.

Such as what Piers Morgan has been waging against Meghan. He was already known as a massive asshole; this is just the cherry on top of that shitpile.

One accusation made against her is that she bullied two personal assistants out of the royal household in the space of a year, including “totally unacceptable” treatment of one. A communications aide at Kensington Palace, Jason Knauf, sent an email to a superior: “The Duchess seems intent on always having someone in her sights. She is bullying Y [name removed] and seeking to undermine her confidence. We have had report after report from people who have witnessed unacceptable behavior towards Y [name removed].”

A similar allegation was reported in Valentine Low’s book Courtiers: the hidden power behind the Crown last year: a staff member who was off duty and out to dinner was repeatedly interrupted, every ten or fifteen minutes for several hours, by phone calls with Meghan screaming ‘I can’t believe you’ve done this. You’ve let me down. What were you thinking?’ Other staffers reported similar experiences: if Meghan felt like calling you up at home at midnight or five in the morning to scream about something, you’d better answer the phone and listen to her rant or have even bigger problems when you did arrive at work.

The email from Knauf, at least, really was sent; an investigation into the behavior and how the palace responded was buried by the late Queen, so how much of the accusations themselves are true is open to question. Since people working in the palace are required to sign confidentiality agreements, you’re not going to see much public confirmation. Certainly her office had a lot of turnover, however, and that has been publicly documented.

Another allegation reported by Low was that after a series of public engagements and walkabouts in Australia, several staff heard Meghan saying, “I can’t believe I’m not getting paid for this.” (What did she think being in the royal family meant?)

Finally! Now we can discuss if this is worth all the vitriol and hatred, if this is or isn’t a hit job and if we should watch Harry and Meghan to find out. It is my opinion that it was, in fact, a hit job. It’s not like the royal household and staff were not known to be real cocks to the people they didn’t like.

I really don’t care about Harry and Meghan, but how many royals have married Americans?

Seems to me that, in and of itself, would lead to great controversy, regardless of her race or background or anything else. Can you imagine if Charles had married an American? That would have been crazy.