Is honey and cinnamon a miracle cure?

I was shown this list just recently. The initial claim seemed rather dubious (most of the diseases?) but I was willing to accept that there might be some medicinal value to this combination of common household ingredients.

But then, I can’t really find any reputable sources, only sites naysaying it. Was it just part of a mail chain or is there any actual medical science behind the claims?

The key word is miracle. No such thing as a miracle cure.

The more diseases a concoction is claimed to cure, the more likely it’s not true.

Well I figured most of it was not cure. Looks like the link is broken. http://alislaah4.tripod.com/moreadvices2/id18.htm That’s what I was trying to link to.

Miracle was my word. What I’m curious is why someone thought honey and cinnamon had any medical value, and whether it actually has any or not. Is it a placebo?

Weekly World News??!! I think perhaps it might be a good idea for you to browse the WWN web site. If they are using Weekly World News as a reliable source of information, I think that answers your question right there.

Cinnamon has a variety of possible medical uses (wiki)
*In medicine it acts like other volatile oils and once had a reputation as a cure for colds. It has also been used to treat diarrhea and other problems of the digestive system.[20] Cinnamon is high in antioxidant activity.[21][22] The essential oil of cinnamon also has antimicrobial properties,[23] which can aid in the preservation of certain foods.[24]

Cinnamon has been reported to have remarkable pharmacological effects in the treatment of Type 2 diabetes mellitus and insulin resistance. However, the plant material used in the study was mostly from cassia and only few of them are truly from Cinnamomum zeylanicum (see cassia’s medicinal uses for more information about its health benefits).[25][26] Recent advancement in phytochemistry has shown that it is a cinnamtannin B1 isolated from C. zeylanicum which is of therapeutic effect on Type 2 diabetes,[27] with the exception of the postmenopausal patients studied on C. cassia.[28] Cinnamon has traditionally been used to treat toothache and fight bad breath and its regular use is believed to stave off common cold and aid digestion.[29]*

Honey is just sugar, fructose and glucose.

On the other hand, nothing makes a better addition to a peanut butter sandwich than honey and cinnamon. Tasty is guaranteed; miracle cures, not so much.

Common ingredients like bleach and ammonia combine to make poisonous chlorine gas.
Natural is not the same as safe and effective, but this is the herbalists’ absurd claim.
We had a chain pharmacy here called Elephant Pharm which was packed with unproven and dubious products, plus a full wall of jars full of all the herbs they could gather. And each one had a name only. You were on your own trying to decide if it was an ingredient in herb tea, a cure for what ails you, or potpourri for making incense. Or, a “cure” for that rich relative that just refused to die.

Honey and cinnamon are not “miracle cures” but they do have medicinal uses. Among other things, honey is antibacterial and cinnamon is good for relieving gastric distress, among other things. Not to say these are replacements for modern drugs, but they DO have medicinal uses.

Honey is not antibacterial, pure sugar is. Honey works as a sub for pure sugar as it is *almost *pure sugar.

Honey does have some mild antiseptic properties due mainly to the very high concentration of sugars. Literally dries out bacteria.

As far as the list is concerned, only a few items could respond to honey and/or cinnamon.

Honey in tea is often used to ease sore throats though it’s no cure.

Bad breath would be freshened by cinnamon though again, not cured.

Clove and peppermint oils are used to ease toothache so it’s not inconceivable that cinnamon might have similar properties.

ETA: Where did you all come from? :smiley:

Limited evidence sxists (small study populations, short-term) that cinnamon might be useful in lowering blood glucose and LDL cholesterol levels in type II diabetics). Honey has some antibacterial properties. The sweeping claims for honey/cinnamon as a miracle cure are nonsense.

People seem to have a need to believe that there are safe, simple supplements they can take to cure/prevent chronic diseases and cancer, that the medical establishment/government/Illuminati don’t want you to know about. You can find similar long lists of “cures” available through using such products as cider vinegar, coconut oil, glyconutrients, various magical herbs (Chinese ones are the most popular) and lots of other things.

I agree that as something is touted to cure more and more different conditions, the less likely it is that it’s truly effective for any of them. And what I’ve never understood is that if any one of these cure-alls is the real deal, why do the alties need so many of them?

And seeing as how they’ve been around and commonly used for centuries, how is it that it’s only just now that we’re hearing about them?

not a miracle cure, but damned tasty on rice cakes, or in oatmeal, or cream of wheat, or even on plain toast.

I treat myself to a honey/cinnamon rice cake about once a month:D

Everyone would know and have achieved Nirvanic trouble-free extended lives, but as you must realize,

They don’t want you to know.

Humans came up with plenty of ways to cure ailments long before modern science came along.

Then, modern science came along and figured out things that actually work.

My grandma is a type 2 diabetic. A few years ago she cut her leg and it became infected. The doctor prescribed various anitbiotics but it just wouldn’t heal.

About that time I read in the newspaper about a study involving the antibacterial properties of Manuka Honey when applied to a wound. I gave her the article and asked her to show it to her doctor. He agreed that it was worth a try so she bought some and applied it to the wound.

It worked. The wound healed within a few days. Though she was still taking the regular antibiotics as well.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/3787867.stm

And here is an article about cinnamon’s effects on blood sugar:

She tried this as well but didn’t notice any change in her blood sugar levels.

Manuka honey – specifically monofloral honey from the NZ Manuka or Tea tree – appears to be actually antibacterial. The NZ Maori used parts of the plant for natural medicine, and the University of Waikato has studied the medicinal properties of the honey, which seems (per Wiki) to come from its active ingredient methylglyoxal.

It’s useufl even without that, though. The famous and later deified priest Imhotep (who was indeed the inspiration for The Mummy) used honey to help heal wounds. Honey protected the wound, shut out bacteria (he knew it helped stop infection) and kept the wound site moist. It wasn’t antibacterial, but apparently did a good job anyway. Plus, I imagine that many injuries away from the Nile in Egypt would not have been easily infected.

Yes, honey does work on wounds. But so would a thick sugar syrup. There’s nothing special about honey, it’s just sugar syrup.