Is it cool for a therapist to solicit clients their own social group?

I am a member of a largish community (about 200 people?) that formed around a shared activity. An energetic person could attend community events up to 4 times a week, most events having 30-50 attending. The main relationship between most group members is friends or acquaintances, with many outside-actual-activity parties/get-togethers/hangouts/similar happening as well, often with all group members invited though many fewer are expected to show up.

Almost everybody is a member of a by-invitation-only Facebook page where much community communication and coordination takes place, often with members posting their services and businesses. I never thought much of it until recently when one member who is a therapist posted that she had some openings and that she really enjoyed having members of the community as clients.

It seems like an uncomfortable “worlds collide” kind of set up that I would not like, but is there anything actually wrong with it? I guess I always had this idea that therapists and clients are not supposed to be friends.

I think its normal business networking.

That is weird. In general, therapists are supposed to try to avoid situations where they will find themselves interacting with clients in other social or professional settings. In some cases, this may be hard to manage completely, especially in smaller towns or communities, but that is definitely the ideal.

My wife, for instance, ruled out a couple preschools as options for our son because she had clients whose kids went there and they would see each other at drop-off and pick-up. Not everyone would agree that that level of avoidance is necessary, but actively soliciting clients from a group of people you already have a social relationship with is a giant ethical red flag.

If your clients like you and are close to other members of their social group, their word-of-mouth recommendations seem likely to drum up more business for you than your own direct solicitation.

I don’t know about wrong (ethically or otherwise), per se - but that therapist would be wrong for me. I don’t want to have to worry about whether my Dr sees me as a peer, if we have friends in common, whether they like me personally or what they think about what I do when I’m socializing w/ others. That’s the only way therapy works for me, the best way for me to be completely honest and authentic and get that back in response.
Maybe other people don’t need that, then those people would reach out to her.