[QUOTE=Colophon]
That said, I’d be a little concerned about the bird crap that is often stuck to the shells, as well as possible injury from sharp jagged edges when swallowed.
[/QUOTE]
Those are the things I was worried about. Any microbiologists in the house? Will a pasteurized egg be clean on the outside, as well as the inside?
[QUOTE=Antigen]
Maybe she’s just enjoying the crunchiness of the eggshells?
[/QUOTE]
I think that’s it. She smashes the up into pretty small bits - about the size of the letters on this message board (at whatever the default font size in Firefox is.) Most of them are still stuck to the membrane and holding together, but in shards, when she swallows them, I think (at least, the piece I took out of her mouth was like that, but maybe she wasn’t done chewing.)
Will they dissolve in her stomach like Tums, or are we risking intestinal damage?
[QUOTE=David Simmons]
The heat of cooking takes care of a lot of the bacteria on the shell. If the shell is cracked before cooking, as in fried eggs, there is a chance of contamination.
[/QUOTE]
These shells were not cooked. We scramble or fry most often.
[QUOTE=Mangetout]
Immediate concern would be hygiene - from the bacteria on and possibly in the egg, and the whole compost bin aspect
[/QUOTE]
Well, by “compost bin” I mean an in-kitchen collection bin for compost, not the composter that breaks down the scraps into actual compost. The scraps don’t contain meat or animal scraps, and aren’t more than about 48 hours old before I take them outside - veg peels, bits of uneaten salad, crusts of bread, that sort of thing. The eggshells themselves are probably the dirtiest thing in there. They are also the only thing she picks out of there. I don’t want to put a lock on it, because then the rest of the family won’t use it consistently.
But if pasteurized egg shells are safe for her, I’ll just give them to her, not put them in the compost. (I don’t want her learning that the compost bucket is a snack bar!)