Is it illegal to fart in public?

In fact, “polite fiction” is as least as old as 1873, appearing in a letter from a correspondent of the writer Samuel Butler:

I gotta believe you deliberately screwed up the punchline here.

Daniel

While I’d imagine an accurate answer to the specifics of your question may depend on the particular jurisdiction in which you propose to engage in a public disturbance, there is an interesting discussion here on the relationship between deviance and crime that I came across in pursuit of an answer, if you’re interested.

More in the article… a worthwhile read.

True fart story from just last week!!!

A big, burly, beer bellied, biker type guy with tons of tattoos is sleeping on a plastic pool-side chair, one of them hard molded plastic jobbies. He’s sort of in an upright sitting position with his head and neck resting on a towel.
There were a lot of people around.
He’d been drinking Blatz beer all day.
He’s in a deep sleep.
He started to let one loose and actually woke himself up. It was one of them reverberating jack-hammer-pounding type numbers that can only be duplicated under very close, exacting conditions. Everyone’s eyes were already fixed on him by the time he woke up and noticed the sound was coming from his own ass.
He sheepishly opened his eyes while the flatulescent symphony continued, unabated, and not caring that the rest of us were choking back tears of laughter.
The funniest part was when my son poked his head out of the pool and said, “Daddy!!, What was that noise?!?!?” in the loudest voice a child of seven could muster. That did it, the whole place was in tears.
Where’s a video camera when you need one.

Thanks for the tidbit. Blame me and not Judith Martin for crediting her for coining the use of the term for farting. I was on a Mobile PDA killing time at the airport and unable to due my usual due diligence. The column I remember was many (15 or 20?) years back. Much longer than the 2 or 3 minutes back I can remember without my computer.

I’ve heard of talking out of your ass, but that’s a new one… :smiley:

Is that what they mean by “speaking from both sides of your mouth”?

I was at a party one time where I had a reserve of gas (we call it wind over here )but was desperately trying to seduce a female guest .
There was an aquaintance of mine who was also trying to get off with this girl but his plan of attack was to come over to our group at intervals,display his sparkling wit for a few minutes and then move on to another group only to return ten or so minutes later.

Every time he came over I let a "silent but deadly "one go .
The girl pretended not to notice (I mean we’re British dammit)the first ,second and third times but on his fourth visit she exploded(must have been all that gas) and told him to go away in most unladylike terms,words to the effect of "why dont you leave the room in short jerky movements ",I of course ,playing the part of the innocent ,reasonable bystander advised him to use the toilet.

I’m not proud of myself ,it was a shameful piece of behaviour on my part but to this day I enjoy the memory of the hurt look on his face when she started shouting at him.
Serves him right though.

As an accomplished fartist, I would be devestated if I couldn’t perform my assmusic.

I prefer the term fartiste.

My understanding is that deliberately farting on someone could be considered Assault in the state of Queensland:

According to my copy of Carter’s Criminal Law of Queensland (Thirteenth Edition) (bolding mine):

You could also make a case for “Common Nuisance”:

The doctrine of De Minimus Non Curat Lex (loosely translated: “The Law does not concern itself with trivialities”), would make it extremely difficult to bring a successful prosecution, however, unless there were extraordinary circumstances. Undue speculation upon the nature of which, however, would only serve to lower the tone of the thread whilst adding little of academic value, IMHO. :wink:

So, in answer to the OP: In Queensland, you could be arrested for Assault and Common Nuisance, but a court would, in all likely, throw the case out for being a complete waste of everybody’s time.

DISCLAIMER: I am not a lawyer, this is not legal advice, your results may vary, etc. You get the idea.

About 12. More than I thought.

Proof positive, if proof were needed, that aviation is still a man’s world.

Has anyone noticed if babies and/or toddlers fart as much as adults? I realize they do it at the worst possible time, but I’d like to think that they can’t produce the volume or the sound as much as adults do.

You might want to rethink that.