Is it illegal to tell someone you will kill them?

Would it be too un-moderator-like to take that as my new sig?

A friend told me she heard of a law that if someone follows you in a car past 3 turns, you can call the police on them for stalking. Is this true? (I’m quoting your post because it might be a Michigan law, as we are close to Michigan (North-west Ohio)

I’ve never heard of that, and I find it hard to believe because it would keep the cops incredibly busy in any city like mine where the locals all know the same shortcuts.

Does it take more than three minutes to establish a history of stalking? Hmm,… I’ve noticed the same woman behind me at the deli breakfast line for a couple of weeks now - no, she doesn’t look at me; she acts like she’s just interested in the eggs. But really now, almost every time I’m there, there she is behind me…

I am going to kill Zenster because he just barely beat me to posting something a couple of days ago.

I am going to kill him with my phaser.

As a police officer in New York, the guy would be charged with harassment. If he tells her this over the phone, then it would be aggravated harassment. Finally if he waves the gun at her and says this, it is menacing. The final two are misdemeanors, punishable by up to 1 year in jail and the first is a violation, which usually nets a fine or probation. And most certainly an order of protection.

In Canada, he could be charged with “uttering a death threat”.

Here’s the Michigan Stalker law
Which includes this language on the threat:

and the Misdemeanor version

both include the phrase “Following or appearing within the sight of that individual”, but I saw nothing about “following past x number of turns in the car”. I suspect that phrase may have been said when a potential victim asked ‘how can I prove that Freddie’s following me in his car’. But I didn’t see where it was established as a legal standard.