Is it just me or has Gmail turned into an absolute pig?

Ever since they changed their interface, I’ve been having consistent problems with Gmail. Everything seems to be loading WAY slower. Whereas it used to open up new windows seamlessly, now it feels like it takes an extra several seconds, like from 3 to 5, to do ANYTHING. Obviously a “few extra seconds” sounds trivial when you write it out like that, but the fact is it’s a major pain in the ass workflow-wise when I have to spend quite a bit of time on Gmail for work . Right?

Is anyone else having these hangups or is it just me?

Yes, I’m suffering with the same problems.

Why is it we must learn to greet such “upgrades” with fatalism along the lines of “Of course it will be worse than the previous version - let’s just hope it won’t be too terribly bad.” ?

The biggest issue, for me, is that if I have my e-mail open when I quit my browser (which is often the case, because I like to check to make sure there’s nothing that needs my attention before I go do something else), when I start it back up again it does… nothing. And it takes several minutes to realize that it’s doing nothing, before it’ll even let me refresh the page (whereupon I finally get the loading screen and eventually my mail).

That, and I don’t like my e-mail pouncing at me and trying to bite me every time I open it.

The biggest issue, for me, is that if I have my e-mail open when I quit my browser (which is often the case, because I like to check to make sure there’s nothing that needs my attention before I go do something else), when I start it back up again it does… nothing. And it takes several minutes to realize that it’s doing nothing, before it’ll even let me refresh the page (whereupon I finally get the loading screen and eventually my mail).

That, and I don’t like my e-mail pouncing at me and trying to bite me every time I open it.

With my Gmail, I’ll read a message, and then it’ll still be marked as unread. Or I’ll delete an email and it won’t get deleted on the first try.

The biggest issue for me is that they’re shitcanning Inbox, which is a superior interface in every way. In Gmail’s interface, everything takes two or three more steps than it does in Inbox (except for the few features that Google copied straight from Inbox, of course.) If they just rebranded Inbox as Gmail we’d all be better off. Instead - it’s off to the curb with it.

Oh, right, I forgot about messages not showing as read. They do, eventually, once the page finishes loading completely… which takes how long, again?

These days, Gmail is the ONLY Google service about which I have no complaints. I use Basic View. I guess that means I can’t include gifs of dancing pigs in my outgoing messages, but I make that sacrifice.

Ordinarily duplicate posts are not permitted within 5(?) minutes, nor any post within 1(?) minute of another post. I guess these restrictions don’t apply to Mods — is that a feature or a bug?

ETA: Oh, Chronos was talking about Gmail. I thought he was talking about the duplication at #3-#4.

You should use something like Thunderbird, instead of reading email at the Gmail site:

Yeah it’s just you guys. Gmail is flawless. Perhaps your computer has contracted an STD (straightdope transmitted disease).

It’s a righteous bastard for all of the reasons given above. Takes FOREVER to load, mail marked to go to the bin doesn’t get binned, and it’s just shitful.

Might have to defect to hotmail or yahoo. :frowning:

Gmail continues to work flawlessly for me.

I aceess it on my android phone multiple times a day with zero issues. Their spam filter is the best I’ve ever seen.

YMMV

Works great for me. But I only check it about once a week. Didn’t even notice they changed their format.

Hangs up on loading to the point that I’m considering a different provider.

Agreed! That splash screen Gmail shows at the beginning takes too long so I switched back to basic view. It doesn’t help that Gmail also loads up Hangouts which makes it a longer wait.

I only use it on my laptop. Maybe it’s designed to work better on phones.

It’s not just you, Gmail takes forever to load sometimes, especially when I’m waking up the computer from sleep and Gmail is already in a browser tab. In that case I often have to type “gmail.com” in the URL and start over.

It wasn’t broke before, I like the snooze function pretty well but that could have easily been added to the old version.

The new version is more like an app and the speed shows that. Too much code and/or resources being loaded is my programmer guess. Maybe it’s clashing with my adblockers. Not giving them up.

Don’t go to yahoo. Yahoo thinks that, if you send a message in an email thread where you were the last person to send a message, you want to send a message to yourself.

I don’t seem to have any issues on my phone or on my laptop.

As someone already noted, the solution to these and many other issues is to use a decent email client with POP3/SMTP or IMAP access. The other poster mentioned Thunderbird; as a constant user of Microsoft Office, my choice is Outlook. Works just fine. I can hardly remember when I’ve even seen the native Gmail web interface.