Is it just me, or has there been a surge of inhumanity lately?

Between the kitten burnings, the 5-year-old who got kidnapped and killed, another kidnapped girl (not sure where or when, though it was recently), and the half a dozen cases of dumbass parents leaving their kids in the car while the parents go do whatever it is morons like them do, while the kids vomit everywhere and essentially roast to death, it would seem that the past week and a half has been filled with all sorts of atrocities.

I just want to know: WHY THE FUCK IS THIS ALL HAPPENING? ARE WE MIRACULOUSLY HAVING A FULL MOON FOR A STRAIGHT WEEK AND A HALF? HAS THE AVERAGE IQ OF THIS COUNTRY DROPPED TWENTY POINTS?

I don’t know about you, but I’m getting tired of this. And the only thing I can do about it is not click the countless threads proclaiming what the latest evil act is. I’m also curious if shit like this happens as often in other parts of the world. It seems like all I hear about is this shit happening in America. (I asked my parents about this. they said it probably happens elsewhere, it just doesn’t make the news here).

There, lame rant I know, but I’m kinda wondering this, and I doubt I could get away with such language in GQ.

Nah. These incidents have all received attention from the national press, but like all anecdotal evidence, they don’t prove anything.

I myself have not clicked on the kitten thread, because I know it will just upset me and I won’t be able to get relief by torturing the mindless shithead to death.

Bad things tend to catch our attention more easily than good things so it seems that there are more of them.

And the press doesn’t help, since anything truly awful is repeated endlessly until it seems like it’s happening everywhere, every second of the day.

Have a friend in Germany who thought (before the school shootings there) that every American teenager was packing heat, and that every American high school was a Columbine ready to happen. It’s easy to get that impression when you see the same images, over and over again.

It’s probably just statistical clustering. Still though, there seems to be an awful lot of it recently.

I agree, but I’m still now keeping my 9mm in the car at all times (esp. after the Happy 4th Incident).

Can’t say as I blame you. :frowning:

There are 240 + million people living in the US. Figure on at least 2% of them being these nuts, though the percentage is probably higher, and that gives you an awful amount of nasty acts being performed on a daily basis. The press, however, doesn’t help any because they take the worst of these acts and replay them over and over, usually with sensationalism added. I’m quite sure that they have a running list of nasty acts that they pick and choose from, depending on how invigorating or not the news is going to be for that day. Then again, if all of the nasty acts were disclosed every day, you’d be a whole lot more upset than you are now.

Like you hear a lot about crime, but did not someone once say that those committing the crimes make up only about 1 to 2% of the total population? Listening to the news you would be inclined to think that in every city, 25% of the population consists of thugs and killers.

I have watched British Cop programs and they make it look like a large portion of the population over there, usually young, spend their time stealing cars, getting into fights, hot rodding and shop lifting.