Is it just me or is President Biden really good at the job?

I know his approval numbers are terrible, but it just seems that every time something seems absolutely impossible, he manages to get bipartisan consensus and get a bill passed. He certainly doesn’t get everything the Democrats want but he manages to give the Republicans enough to generally make them happy without having to give in to their more radical ideas.

Sure, nobody really wants to default on the debt but I think that many Republicans were willing to do it just to tank his presidency and guarantee a Republican wave in 2024. I certainly didn’t think he would get approval from 72% of the House.

When I look at what has been accomplished so far in 2 1/2 years, I am impressed. We have infrastructure, we still have clean energy, we got pandemic relief. We have inflation but that is because we have the lowest unemployment since the 1970s.

People look at him and think he has dementia, that he doesn’t have a forceful personality or that he’s good old Uncle Joe. But I think he may leave a legacy of progressive accomplishments to rival Johnson. In a time of incredible division in this country, he somehow manages to get things done but more incredibly, he gets them done with support from both sides. I mostly voted for him as NOT TRUMP. I really did not think that he would be this effective.

Personally I think he is the 2nd worst president that we have had during my lifetime. The only one I think was worse was Trump.

Is your feeling because of inflation or something else?

Maybe they’re 14 years old?

My 3 worst presidents are in no particular order Nixon, Reagan and Trump. I could dig into my degree and swan my way back into the past before my lifespan, but Engineer_comp_geek mentioned in his lifetime so that is what I decided to pick timewise.

Personally I think given the rabid asshattery of the Repubs are bound and determined to fuck over any Democrat in any office in the US and territories, he is doing a bang up fucking excellent job given the trainwreck he took over. Having to deal with a freaking insurrection, shepherding a mass of traitors into the slammer and everything else dumpsterfire left us with, I can’t see a Repub managing to do anything, Ghu knows if dumpsterfire had gotten reelected, we would be a satellite state of Putin shortly.

Worse than Nixon?

I think he’s doing a much better job than I expected of him, although there are areas where he could do better.

And I’m not the only one:

I’m with you. I think that overall he is doing a terrific job. Too bad he gets saddled with the current economy. Like all presidents he gets the largely undeserved credit or blame for pocketbook issues.

and GWB???

and Carter?

Biden’s a B or a B- president. Straight in the middle average, but an absolute breath of fresh air after the F- that was Trump.

I don’t understand statements like this. The current economy is fantastic, with low unemployment and rising wages. Inflation is moderating, and is still a few points lower than when Reagan or Bush 1 was president.

Maybe there will be a recession later this year, or maybe there will be a soft landing, but the current state is quite good.

Forgot to address the OP! The Inflation Reduction Act was a big deal and will play a big role in reducing the effects of climate change.

On what grounds? If it’s inflation, do you think the president controls inflation? Helping Ukraine? Do you think it’s better to give Ukraine to Putin and fight him in the Baltics? What pray tell is your objection?

I think he gets a B+ or better on his ability to govern. I think he gets a D or worse on his ability to effectively communicate his accomplishments and what he is fighting for.

That’s a fair point. I should have more clearly articulated it as being saddled with the perception of a weak economy. Most of the polls I’ve seen show lingering anxiety over the economy—gas and grocery prices and such. But I agree that the economic fundamentals are very solid.

I see this all the time, that the Dems need to “get their message out” more clearly and vociferously. Without a single solitary shred of advice as to what they should be doing, specifically, to deeply embed said words and notions into the public consciousness.

Just what, exactly, do you want them to do? The Sunday morning talk shows have been heavily biased towards hosting Repubs for years now. If a Dem says something cogent or incisive, but the media fails to report it, are you saying that it is the Dem’s fault? Do you want every Dem in DC and elsewhere to grab a megaphone and yammer on at streetcorners whenever they get a chance? [There is some Christian guy who does that around here, heard him yesterday] Biden gave a rousing speech several months ago which went over very well (welp except for a certain segment of the voting population of course).

First, I said Biden, not the Dems. I think that he is a particularly poor public speaker for a politician.

Again, you’re talking about the Dems, and I am talking about President Biden, specifically. There are plenty of good mouth pieces for the Democrats (I think Pete Buttigieg does an amazing job).

I don’t know what speech you are referring to, but given the importance of the debt ceiling issue, I would have loved to hear forcefully and repeatedly from him on what the Republicans were risking by playing games.

I think he is what this nation sorely needed after 4 years of Trump. He is honest, soft spoken, straight forward, and one hundred percent behind the democratic principles this nation was founded on.

Biden is a solid old-style politician, and I mean that as a compliment. Compromise and deal-making are so out of fashion that the general public now associates it with weakness, but it’s what’s required to make government work.

Oddly, Kevin McCarthy and Mitch McConnell both know this and know how to do it, but as soon as they’re seen to put it in practice, their newer colleagues set on them like rabid dogs. For some of them, it’s because that’s what plays well with the rubes, but there is a significant and vocal portion of freshman GOP Congresspeople who sincerely want to burn the whole government down regardless of the consequences.

I think the worst president in my lifetime was probably Reagan. He gutted our social safety net and successfully turned public opinion to “i got mine”.

He was effective, but did a lot of damage to our nation.

If Trump gets reelected he will be worst though.