Is it OK to be homophobic ?

while you’re coming up with an explanation of what exactly is a ‘gay lifestyle’, please explain this little part, as well.

“I don’t have to liek what they do”. Again, as far as I can tell, human sexuality is generally covered by the concept of touching (in some way) some ones genetalia. Now the touching can be with hands, your own genetalia, tongue, nose, objects, feathers, silk sc arv es (oops, got sidetracked there for a moment).

But, again, it’s people touching ‘naughty bits’. And, in case you weren’t aware, heterosexual couples engage in the same sorts of activities. The only real difference that I can glimmer on (other than perhaps frequency of various combinations or styles), is the genetalia of the other person.

IOW, if you’re male (and you seem to be), it’s likely that you’ve engaged in at least some of the behavior that homosexual males do. Probably, tho, with some one with opposite parts.

So, it doesn’t seem to be the acts themselves that bothers you, it’s with whom they’re done, eh? and, of course, unless they’re forcing you to watch, I"m really quite unclear how this becomes a ‘lifestyle’ or issue that permeates the rest of their lives to the extent that you feel comfortable/correct in determining things like their ability to marry, adopt, work, etc.

PUtting it bluntly, ‘what’s your damage here?’

Well, I’m not homosexual, but… Nevermind.

Don’t be so hard on people who say that. I think some of us might have just a touch of homophobia, and wouldn’t want anyone to think that we were, you know, not that there’s anything wrong with that.

But some of us just want to immediately deflect the criticism “you only say that because you’re gay”.

And some of us are probably a little wistful for what we’re missing.
Personally, I figure it would be hypocritical of me to be homophobic and still masturbate so damn much. Ooops, did I just say that out loud?

It does add credibility for the speaker to establish that they’re not gay, because it establishes that they have no immediate self-interest in defending gay rights. Their view is (presumably) a particular moral view about the universe, and not naked self-preservation or advancement.

I suppose if you look at it as a lifestyle, the case of my brother and me is illustrative. He’s got a family, a house in the suburbs, is raising two up-and-coming baseball players, and occasionally coaches the team. For a living, he runs his own swimming pool business. In his other leisure hours he likes to go surfing, dirt-biking, and watching shows like South Park. I’m very different. I’m married with a step-daughter who’s almost out of the house, and utterly interested in any of the activities listed above, except surfing, which I may now try, since I have had my eyes lasered and can see. I work as a computer programmer. Brother and I are as different as can be, but I still respect his life choices, even though I would not have made the same choices.

And I think it’s about the same with gay guys. I really DO NOT want to hear about how they do it, what I can imagine is more than I want to know. But even so, I’ve often encountered gays who were witty, intelligent, or in some other way brought somethine very positive to the group. So…I can certainly accept gay guys as friends, although there are aspects of their lives in which I have no interest.

If you correctly recognize that it’s none of your business, then why do you have to have an opinion about it at all? Just as you don’t have to “like” it, you don’t have to “dislike” it, either. You can just live your life without reference to it, because they’re in their bedroom, not in yours, and you correctly note that what they do there is none of their business.

It’s like you’re saying “It’s not my business but I’ll judge it anyway.” Why not spend your energy judging or worrying about something that is your business instead?

I would refuse to allow gay people to get married and have children for the same reasons I would refuse to allow straight people to do so – lack of capacity, irresponsibility, a history of abusive behavior, etc. etc. But in the absence of any evidence tending to show that gay people are inherently unsuitable to be spouses and parents – and make no mistake, there is no such evidence – I see no defensible rationale for denying them the right to do those things – or any other thing that any responsible member of society has the right to do.

because I like to keep it that way. That it remains in the privacy.

I’ve heard it’s kind of like sword fighting. Oh, you don’t want to know. Forget I mentioned it.

That’s because (generally speaking) liberals tend to be repulsed by intolerance and intolerant ideas, such as “I don’t approve of their [homosexual] lifestyle.”

Generally speaking, anyway.

huh?

Are gay folks grabbing you off the streets to tell you details about their sexual habits? (are straight people?)

If they’re not, then what’s happening is happening in your own head, presumably you’d have control over that. Don’t want to ‘imagine’ what they do to and for each other? then don’t.

simple as that.

But you’re not talking about homosexuals doing it in the road, are you? It really is private, except that every time you see them, it makes you think about them, and what they do. Yuck, huh?

Too damn bad.

Something is legal if the government doesn’t impose a punishment for it.

Currently, gays can not get married or adopt children (in most states). In my opinion, this amounts to a punishment, so in other words, homosexuality is still illegal.

If you want to believe that homosexuality is “abnormal”, that’s fine, but the government in the United States isn’t supposed to enforce belief about what’s normal and what’s abnormal. The government is supposed to protect the people, so there’s no justification for legally punishing people for being homosexual.

Now I personally I don’t have any problems with homosexuality. There are many sexual behaviors that I view as abnormal, but I wouldn’t want to punish people who engage in those behaviors by taking away their marriage and adoption rights.

So you think if you did like it, it would not “remain in the privacy”? Surely you see that this makes no sense. Presumably, if you are not gay, you do not dislike straight sex. Do you have trouble with many people not keeping their straight sex “in the privacy,” just because you like it or approve of it?

In an ideal world, what we do in our bedrooms, and with whom, is your bidness and nobody else’s. It’s all “in the privacy;” that’s the point: If it doesn’t affect you, you have no reason to care. You do not make sex more or less private by announcing you dislike it – as if you’d have that power anyway – nor does it become more private if it is gay or straight. It’s all private. And all none of your business. (Unless it’s you having it.)

Sheesh. Make that “our bidness.” It pretty clearly isn’t your bidness, which is actually my point.

Jodi,
You’re back!:slight_smile:

Hey, it’s a free country (here in the US, that is). If you are repulsed by gay people, the thought police will not drag you away in the middle of the night. You’ll be cheating yourself of getting to know decent, warm people, but it’s your loss, not ours.

If you don’t like homosexuality, don’t engage in it, is my advice.

At the risk of blowing my image as a heartless SOB…

{{{{{Jodi}}}}}}} WB!

Hugs? Is that a come on? Are you harassing me with – gay sex???

But wait. You’re smart, level-headed, funny, and built like a brick shithouse. Heck, hug me again! Better keep holding me – though I am not enjoying it at all – until I can get over the ickiness of being in very close proximity to a big warm strong guy. I warn you: This may take a while. :slight_smile:

Thanks, GB and AMARINTH. I didn’t think anybody knew I’d been gone. :slight_smile:

sniff.

of course somebody else stepped in to a PIT thread just to say "Hi, welcome back’ but does she get noticed, hugged, acknowledged??? hmmmm??

sigh.

always the bridesmaid, never the bride.

:wink:

WRING, you I hug until your stuffing comes out. :slight_smile:

Well Mr. Powerstation, it sounds to me like maybe you’re misusing the word “homphobic.”

If you find the image of two guys boinking each other to be somewhat icky, that’s not homophobia, that’s personal taste.

Nothing’s wrong with having preferences.

If you think less of people because they feel differently or don’t share your preferences, that’s something else.

First, you have to wear plaid flannel shirts the bulk of the time. Or tutus. But never the two together.

Next, you may enjoy early '60s female Motown musicians, Barbara Streisand, show tunes and bad '70s disco. Nothing else. Ever.

You have your choice of big hairy macho guys in leather or smaller, svelte Asian guys. Or both.

You may recruit all sorts of people to this lifestyle using orbital mind-control lasers.

You must keep your lifestyle secret, lest you cause emotional trauma to delicate wilting flowers like the OP.

HOWEVER:

In return, you get 3 superpowers, a spandex costume and the ability to fight crime in all it’s myriad forms!

Your bonus super-power will be to make delicate wilting flowers like the OP get the vapors should you show even the barest hint of affection towards another male. You want to show your dad your undying affection so you give him a firm handshake? POWER_station’ll faint and have to be revived with sal volitale(sp). A hug could stun an ENTIRE CITY BLOCK! AND A KISS ON THE CHEEK COULD DOOM US ALL! YOU FOOL! YOU’RE PLAYING WITH FORCES YOU CANNOT COMPREH…ahem. I’m ok now that that’s out of my system

(Plus the Asian guys or Bears thing. That should be a plus)

Fenris, lifestyle arbiter supreme!

[sub]who notes that OTHER people get hugs[/sub]