[QUOTE=Rigamarole]
Back in my days as a cashier, we had an incident where a credit card swipe machine’s “OK” button had fallen off, and someone had taped a handwritten piece of paper over it that read “okey”.
[/QUOTE]
I generally spell it “okey” in very casual settings. When I was a kid, I read a book where the author spelled it “okey.” I just loved it, and have been using it since.
And, as further evidence of my dorkitude, I often say it more like “ookie,” too.
Don’t forget that thanks to South Park we now have m-kay or mk to get around the censors in polite company. So m-kay being a four letter word still gets it’s meaning across, when a f and three underlines doesn’t print correct like this f___ or a bunch of random symbols isn’t your thing. I guess with the random symbols, _uck is the one word in our language that has the most accepted ways to represent it and still be identified.
[QUOTE=Harmonious Discord]
I guess with the random symbols, _uck is the one word in our language that has the most accepted ways to represent it and still be identified.
[/QUOTE]
[QUOTE=Sunspace]
Interesting. But were you always looking for the specific spelling ‘okay’ in those other languages? Wouldn’t they spell it phonetically according to their rules? What about languages that do not use the latin alphabet?
[/QUOTE]
In Japanese it would be <オーケイ> – i.e., “ookei” romanised bacxk again – unless they used romaji “OK”.