Is it possible for the US government to be sanctioned/punished for its acts

Can the President and/or congress superced the Constitution without an amendment approved under Article V?

No.

This Constitution, and the Laws of the United States which shall be made in Pursuance thereof; and all Treaties made, or which shall be made, under the Authority of the United States, shall be the supreme Law of the Land…

Now that mentions three things:

[ul]
[li]The Constitution[/li][li]the laws of the United States made in pursuance to the Constitution[/li][li]treaties[/li][/ul]

There’s no question that in a conflict between federal law and the Constitution, the Constitution wins out. Why would you assume differently for treaties?

Just think of how treaties are ratified: Signed by the prez, and then approved by 2/3 of the Senate. Do you really think the constitution can be amended (which is what the effect would be if your assumption was correct) w/o any input from the House or the State legislatures? No, that makes no sense at all.

You are incorrect. The Supreme law of the land is the United States Constitution; treaties may be found unconstitutional. Here’s the Supreme Court in Reid v. Covert 354 U.S. 1 (1956), discussing Article VI (affectionately known as the “Supremacy Clause”) (emphasis added):

So treaties are exactly in line with federal statutes, and both of those are below the US Constitution. The Constitution, treaties, and federal statutes are all superior state laws.

Thanks for the quotes, AFAIKnow.

Ah, I understand.

I hoped that it was not the case. For me there’s very little overlap between “makes sense” and “interpreting the law”. :stuck_out_tongue: That’s why I tend stick to physics, it sensical.

Sure, we generally allow nations to put our citizens on trial if they’re accused of committing a crime in their country. The ICC would have jurisdiction over U.S. soldiers no matter where they operated overseas. There seems to be a big difference to me.

What if the U.S. investigates and decides there isn’t enough evidence to warrant a prosecution or if a trial yields a not guilty verdict or a verdict that isn’t tough enough, what then?

Marc

Then, I think it holds water. And since the US has always had that choice, I don’t see a distinction at all.

I used to be under the same misimpression, Pleonast, but closer study showed that the clause in question does not give treaties equal standing with the Constitution. It says “Treaties made under the Authority of the United States” – that Authority derives from the Constitution itself.
BTW. in any case the US refusal to go along with the ICC antecedes the current Iraq unpleasantness, so that is not THE reason. But an unspoken part of the concern IS a fear that individual Americans will end up becoming proxy defendants/sacrificial atonements for the effects of a USA Government policy they were not responsible for, or for actions by George Bush or Secretary Rice or General Pace or any other such person/entity that is beyond the reach of the Court.

clairobscur, the US will extradite its citizens to other countries to face trials in their legal systems, but as mentioned before, subject to prior review by the American judicial system – basically, they feel it’s one thing to voluntarily hand over a suspect; to say they MUST “or else” could be seen as a breach of national sovereignty. And let’s remember that a number of countries will not extradite even an American to the USA if s/he faces a possible death penalty, so it cuts both ways.

Yep, I know exactly what you mean. I’m a physics guy myself. I could never do the law gig as a living, but it can be fun to debate here. :slight_smile:

Yes, I would file suit in U.S. Federal Court against the President of the United States (or some other public official that would be applicable) saying my third amendment rights were in material violation (3rd amendment doesn’t come up often, but it’s specifically written to deal with just this kind of thing.)

The USSC would undoubtably rule that the President does not have the authority to force quartering of troops. Would the USSC be able to directly overrule the treaty? I profess ignorance on that. But they could make actual ENFORCEMENT of the treaty on U.S. soil unconstitutional.

You’re missing a very important part of my statement that fundamentally alters the argument here.

The ICC would allow U.S. soldiers who commit crimes while under U.S. jurisdiction to be tried without a jury. When you commit a crime in the jurisdiction of the United States you are guaranteed an absolute (you can waive this right in favor a bench trial, obviously.)

While under U.S. jurisdiction is the important part. The U.S. allows its citizens to be tried by foreign courts that do not have jury trials when a U.S. citizen commits a crime in the jurisdiction of those foreign courts. If I kill someone in France the United States won’t protest because I’m convicted without trial by jury (I’m assuming France doesn’t have jury trials, but I honestly don’t know, just for the sake of argument) because the U.S. expects its citizens to recognize they will be governed by the laws of the land in which they are travelling when they are abroad.

Now, the U.S. government WILL step in if I’m arrested in a foreign jurisdiction and tried in a grossly unjust manner, or something like that. But, the simple absence of a jury trial in a civil law country where the trial still conforms to excellent standards of fairness and justice wouldn’t upset anyone at the U.S. State Department.

However, when you start packing off U.S. citizens, who are accused of crimes committed while under U.S. jurisdiction, to a foreign court to be tried not by a jury, that’s a material violation of the 6th Amendment and there is no way around it.

Well, in the United States, if the prosecuting authorities decide not to prosecute that means they felt there was not enough evidence to make a meaningful case that the person was guilty beyond a reasonable doubt. So that person being tried in those cases would be wholly unacceptable.

Meant to type, “absolute right to trial by jury.”

Canadians are a bit mad with the US for ignoring a NAFTA ruling: from The Economist

I personally think Mr Axworthy’s proposed retaliation is entirely appropriate: what is the point of being in a dispute resolution mechanism if the resolution is to be ignored?

Presumably, there’s no such thing as war crimes unless he can answer.

I’m sure the families of the people in this Italiancable car don’t agree. The pilots were complete idiots, who engaged in an obstruction of justice by destroying videotape:

And the first time the US every prosecuted its troops for a negligent “friendly fire incident” was January 2003, under pressure from the Canadian government. This inquiry revealed the pilots were using amphetemines, had been on shift for 6 hours longer than permitted, and were tens of thousands of feet above the range of the Canadian unit’s small arms fire, and yet the pilots strafed them with a cannon.

My recollection from the book The Justice Game by Geoffrey Robertson QC was that US officials refused to participate in a negligence trial in England for friendly fire on English soldiers in the Gulf War. In that case the plaintiffs were successful. So how can an English court (which are the best in the world) find the pilots negligent, and yet no disciplinary action was taken against the negligent pilots?

Would you agree in the cisrcumstances I have described above that an international court should have jurisdiction where the US refuses or fails to take appropriate action?