Is it really rude to cut your food with the side of your fork?

Fork, knife, who cares?

What really bugs me is when people eat Buffalo wings with a fork. I had no idea this phenomenon existed until I went to Wings n Things with my mom. It’s hard to concentrate on my plate when shenanigans of such magnitude are occurring on the other side of the table.

Eww.
Re the OP. I don’t think it’s rude, but it depends on the situation, really. I mean if you are at a nice restaurant or something - well one of the many reasons I am with my SO is he does have a modicum of class and finds these little things important, and I find that attractive. But like others said, as long as you are not sawing or fighting your poor food with the fork, go right ahead. I mean, I chop up my steak into little bits all at once because I don’t want to have to keep cutting it throughout the meal.

Similar to fetus it bugs me when people eat pizza with a knife and fork. Pick it up with your hands, people! It’s pizza!

No personal insults in IMHO. This is a warning.

Screw hunting rifles–Real Men use a fork and knife right out there on the plains. If you can’t bring a deer down with two fistfuls of old-fashioned American stainless steel, your family doesn’t deserve to eat venison tonight.

this sums up my feelings on the matter perfectly.

aka, who the fuck cares, and if you are included in that “who”, I don’t want to know you.

I grew up with all the Southern debutantes (I myself did not debut, as we are New Money) and I can assure you that it is not rude to cut your food with your fork. It is not optimal, however, to do so with anything you have to really work at - I’d say that raising the elbow is a no no. Making little “eh! eh!” noises of effort would likewise be frowned upon.

Run the steer by the table and I’ll hack off a hunk!

Forks ain’t for cuttin’, they’re for stabbin’. Just stab what you eatin’, bring it to your mouth and bite off a hunk. If it has a bone, it has a built in holder. Just pick it up by the bone and gnaw off a bite. The only time anythin’ needs a cuttin’ is if it’s too big for my plate.

I roll the laminated dessert menu into a funnel, tilt my head back, and dump the plate down the hatch all at once.

How does she eat pie?

Not on my home planet

Ooooooh! Look at Mr. Fancy Pants, goin’ to places where there’s LAMINATED dessert menus. Chalkboards at the entrance too plebeian for you?

:smiley:

You can find old dessert forks that are designed with one tine thicker than the others, or even serrated, to be used as a cutting edge. I have a few antique silver ones–this is the closest picture I can find that looks like the ones I have: http://www.sipler-sterling.com/JacobDavisFk.jpg

They’re meant, I believe, for pie crusts and other thick, cakey desserts that might need cutting, but one could use them for waffles if one were so inclined, and be ever-so genteel about it.

You try rolling a chalkboard sometime. Although I suppose I could karate chop it in half and nail it back together in a V shape…

Salad forks are usually shorter than dinner forks, too. At least, shorter within the same set.

[Announcer Voice] Hey there, hearty diners! Tired of struggling through tough cuts using only your fork?
(Camera change to perky lady attempting to saw the hind leg off of a yak using a fork. She and the yak both turn to the camera with frustrated expression and shake heads in unison)
Annoyed by having to change hands and use extra utensils?
(Camera change to knife-and-fork-wielding doofus who fails to cut steak, but stabs small child sitting next to him. Doofus and small child both turn to camera with frustrated expression and shake heads in unison)

Trouble yourselves no longer! Introducing… the Ginsu Fork™!!
By combining the properties of steel with patented molecules of Sselniats, Ginsu factory engineers in our engineering factory have produced the fork you will never forget. It slices, it dices, it’s so powerful you can cut through a two by four so quickly, a beaver would be jealous!
(Camera change to Asian man who attacks lumber with fork, and in a blur or activity, cuts it in half. Asian man and beaver both turn to camera with approving expression and nod heads in unison)

How much would you pay for this revolutionary implement? Thanks to the wonder of third-world labor, you can have an entire set of 8 Ginsu Fork™s for one easy payment of $9.99!* But wait, there’s more! Call now, and we’ll double your order. That’s right, 16 Ginsu Fork™s for the price of 8! Never find yourself without one again! Don’t wait-this is a limited time offer which ends when Hell freezes over! Call now-operators are standing by.

*$9.99 cash or credit card, plus $2.99 per fork shipping and handling. Offer not valid anywhere, including Wisconsin. No returns accepted. Use caution when handling sharp dinner tools. Do not eat while operating heavy equipment or while sleeping. Close your mouth when you chew.[/Announcer Voice]

Why don’t you get yourself a 1980’s (?) invention, the splayd?
From Wiki

If your wife objects just tell her that all the upper crust in Australia swear by them. That should fix things.

Me, too! Actually Suburban Plankton (hubby) and LedZepKid (our son) also both prefer the salad fork. Glad to know there are others like us out there.

When dining with friends I concentrate on the conversation - I couldn’t tell you if any of the gang cuts with a fork and I really don’t care.

I do use my fork to cut food sometimes - meat loaf is soft enough and I can’t imagine using a knife on french toast or pancakes.

How does your wife eat toast?

*laughing at **danceswithcats’*creativity