Is it really rude to cut your food with the side of your fork?

In a column a while back Miss Manners said that the side of forks should be used to cut food which they are capable of. It doesn’t matter how fancy the restaurant is, you’re still in the clear.

Flinging mashed potatoes across the table with spoon catapults is apparently still out.

Personally I think the European method is more elegant and easier: the fork is always held in the left hand, so you use the left hand to carry food to your mouth. The knife stays in the right hand. With this method, there’s no need to cut food with your fork because your knife is always in your hand ready for use.

I thought that was global… that’s the way I was bought up and tables are set here… consider some ignorance fought!

Actually the table setting is the same. Wikipedia entry for fork etiquette explains the difference in fork/knife usage.

I haven’t really paid attention to whether most Americans do the correct “American style,” but I think most do. And it does explain why Americans are tempted to cut food with the fork.

Your wife would have had serious problems with my grandfather,who ate EVERYTHING with a knife,including ice cream,of which he had great fondness.
Try it with green peas sometime.