Is Jesus connected to Esau?

I just noticed that Jesus in Aramaic is something like “Yeshua” which in turn is something “Esau.” Is this just a coincidence or is there some sort of etymological connection?

Not that I’m aware of. They have different meanings.

The /sh/ and /s/ aren’t the same letter (though as letters, I assume they derive from the sae proto-Semutic source marked as aspirated or not aspirated).

Just coincidence.

Esau (meaning “hairy”) is ayin-shin-waw.
Jesus = Yeshua, short for Yehoshua (meaning “God saves”), which is yodh-he-shin-waw-ayin.

Ancient Hebrew didn’t write the vowel sounds. Ayin is a rough breathing sound.

But, if I understand correctly, “Jesus” is connected to “Joshua.”

Well, it’s obviously the exact same name (or at most a slight variation) if you take into account Latinization

Link here: Jesus (name) - Wikipedia

The name Jesus is derived from the Hebrew name Yeshua/Y’shua, which is based on the Semitic root y-š-ʕ (Hebrew: ישע), meaning “to deliver; to rescue.”[12][13][14] Likely originating in proto-Semitic (yṯ’), it appears in several Semitic personal names outside of Hebrew, like in the Aramaic name Hadad Yith’i, meaning “Hadad is my salvation”. Its oldest recorded use is in an Amorite personal name from 2048 B.C.[15]

By the time the New Testament was written, the Septuagint had already transliterated ישוע (Yeshuaʿ) into Koine Greek as closely as possible in the 3rd-century BCE, the result being Ἰησοῦς (Iēsous)

Which isn’t anything new to the thread, but gives you plenty to dive into if you want to follow up on the linked articles and analysis.