Is Nov. 22nd a famous date like July 4th or Dec. 7th ?

I’m in my late 60’s and the date November 22 (1963) is seared in my memory. But is the date familiar to X’ers and Millennials? (And do they even remember Dec. 7th ??)

I was thinking of this after noting that Thanksgiving and Thailand’s Loy Kratong fall on the same day this year. I think that’s a twice-per-lifetime coincidence, or thereabouts. They will coincide on Nov. 22 specifically only once every two centuries or so.

I’m a Millennial and I know those two dates. It’s always been easy for me to remember JFK’s assassination (Nov 22) because I have a friend who was born on Nov 24 (the date Oswald was murdered by Ruby).
Every time December 7th comes around, I can hear in my mind the old audio clip of FDR addressing Congress: “December 7th, 1941, a date which will live in infamy!”

I was born in ‘73, and every time I see 11/22, I think “JFK was shot this day.”

But I don’t think that’s very normal among my peers, let alone the generation below me. Though perhaps Stephen King’s book 11/22/63 helped somewhat with that? There’s a ton of fresh King fans still out there.

I remember like three birthdays, two phone numbers, Christmas, Independence Day… not much else. Dates and numbers just don’t stick in my head.

Heck, I’m Canadian and know all these dates.

IMO, no. Maybe it used to be, but I think the salience of the Kennedy assassination is on a steep downward trend as the boomers’ cultural dominance wanes.

December 7th is going to go that way too, especially once the remaining WW2 veterans are gone, but it was a bigger deal so it will probably last longer.

I’m in my early geezerhood, so I was alive on that day and remember hearing the announcement over the school’s loudspeaker. And if asked, what is special abut Nov 22 I would know right away. But, if I was asked what day JFK was assassinated, I’d know it was November, but probably wouldn’t get the exact day correct.

Famous, but not as famous as July 4 or Dec 7 in the US. July 4 has no rival in terms of dates. Kinda hard to get wrong, although I’m sure some folks do. :slight_smile:

I’ve read a lot about the JFK assassination, and lived through the horror and grieving as a kid, but I couldn’t give you an exact date.

You’re friends with my wife?
I remember the date because every year for all of my adult life, they show JFK bios and films on TV.

I agree with this.

I know Dec 7th and June 6th. But 22 Nov? :confused:

JFK assassination would not have been in my top 10 guesses.

I also think that since the presidency has lost a lot of prestige since then, younger generations just don’t conceive of the emotional effect that had on the nation at the time.

I mean, if Trump was assassinated (not something I am calling for by the way!!) can you imagine the government putting his face on coinage? No way.

I knew the JFK assassination was in Nov 1963 because I was born the previous month (I have an alibi) but wouldn’t have been able to guess the date.

I would say July 4, Dec 25, Oct 31, Sep 11, and maybe Dec 7 would be the most commonly known dates.

I was in third grace when JFK was killed. It’s the first “famous date” for me, wherein I remember exactly where I was and what I was doing.

I know the year of JFK’s assassination was 1963 but not the month or day. I may remember it going forward because of this thread, though, because that’s the way my brain works.

I was born in 1970.

I’ve never heard the date"Nov 11" as a refrain the way “September 11” or “9-11” is, or in FDR’s speech about “December 7th, a date that will live in infamy*”, or the rhyme about Guy Fawkes Day (“remember, remember, the fifth of November / The gunpowder, treason, and plot…”) that featured in “V For Vendetta” (not being British, that was my initial exposure to it).

Or the Temptations singing about how “It was the third of September, a day I’ll always remember (yes, I will) / 'Cause that was the day that my Daddy died”

*Note: Dec 7 is also the birthday of the first girl I ever had a serious crush on, and I’ve remembered it for that reason since I was 9 years old, and it’s the mnemonic I have for remembering the date in FDR’S speech

Mrs. Septimus and I were married on December 7. I was never going to forget the “date which will live in infamy” in any event, but now I’m never going to forget our Anniversary either — a boost for marital tranquility!

(BTW, it’s easy to forget that George Washington was born in 1732 and easy to forget that √3 ≈ 1.732. But if you learn both these facts, it’s easy to remember them together!)

Gen X, didn’t know either. I knew JFK was killed in late November, but I couldn’t tell you the date. I should probably have known Pearl Harbor, but that one I couldn’t even narrow down to a month. June 6 I guessed D Day, and turns out I was right, but little degree of confidence there. I couldn’t have told you the year if my life depended on it. I probably would have guessed 1945, off by a year.

History was my least favorite subject, as you can tell.

I know of no reason
Why the Gunpowder treason
Should ever be forgot!

I don’t remember when I first heard of Guy Fawkes Day. But I remember meeting a Californian guy in his 30’s, learning his birthday was November 5, and being surprised he’d never heard of Guy Fawkes Day. Of all the people who’d been to his birthday parties over the decades I was the first who knew the date and mentioned it.

I couldn’t remember what was significant about the date just from the title (and I have read the Stephen King book.)

Huh. That’s our wedding anniversary day. Never heard of it. All I know about Guy Fawkes is that it’s the Anonymous mask guy.

I was in high school on Nov 22, 1963, so I remember, and i remember well the impact JFK’s assassination had on the country and on the world.

That level of **impact **can never happen again. Not because nothing worse can happen (it can and has), but because the country/world will never be that innocent again.