[QUOTE=Chief Pedant]
It’s unethical to butt into the personal lives and choices of any two consenting adults, even if one is a doctor and one is a patient.
The doctor has an ethical duty to present the risks, to be properly qualified so as to minimize them, and to make an appropriate judgment that the patient is able to process that information.
I’ve never quite understood why plastic surgery tends to raise any hackles on the part of those not involved in the contractural relationship. (Jealousy that not everyone has to play the cards mother nature dealt them? )There seems to be an implied theory in the OP that it might be construed as unethical to expose another individual to an unnecessary risk when the precipitating reason is their personal pleasure (and perhaps when one party is being compensated).
Under that notion it’s unethical for a bungee jump operator to be in business.
[/QUOTE]
Does anybody know if plastic surgery patients sign some type of release form (as you would if you were about to bungee jump)?
And do the surgeons really discuss the risks or just blast through them as a formalilty (like the really fast talk at the end of a car commercial).
I think maybe I would have never posted this topic if plastic surgeons were called something else other than doctor - like “Flesh Sculptor” or something. I guess I’m fighting my perception that it is always a doctor’s job to promote your health, and that some kinds of elective plastic surgery may actually do the opposite.

