[QUOTE=MGibson]
Why does it require so much effort on your part? Barring unforseen circumstances I don’t find it all that difficult to be where I am suppose to be when I am suppose to be there. I don’t say this to be rude but are you suffering from a mental disorder of some kind?
Marc
[/QUOTE]
I am really sorry I posted in this thread. People were so nice in the Pit, I thought thought this wouldn’t be a problem. But honestly, I can’t hold up to a point-by-point in GD. You’ll win. I’m no where near articulate enough to tangle with y’all without putting my foot in my mouth. I’m still struggling with remembering to hang up my keys every day.
Contraputal, AHoosierMama, if it takes effort for you than you are probably more like me than Mr. Gibson above. That is exactly what I was talking about about flip and insulting. He just magically shows up on time. It’s all very simple. I have to set alarms to remind me when to leave the house. I appologize for whining about it-- I usually don’t, the thread just got me thinking about it, probably too much. People seemed genuinely, intelectually curious about why I was like this, so I tried to explain, and I got carried away attempting to defend myself.
I don’t want to get into a debate defending something I’m not proud of and in fact hate about myself. In my adult life I’m not usually late by anyone else’s standards, because I pad my own time. But I only make the time I set for myself (which I set knowing I’m like this) about half the time, so I feel chronically late, and stressed out whenever I go somewhere with a time deadline. I can do this under most circumstances, but not all. I make an effort to avoid circumstances where I know I can’t be on time. My friends would rather I not do this to myself, and they give me a little breathing room because they love me. That’s all I meant.
I work in graphic design, by the way. Heads down and tune out all the way. Sometimes I’m at my desk until midnight because I lost track of time, I was so into my work. I’m very good with deadlines-- my whole life is a deadline.
[Quote=robby]
For things that I simply cannot be late for (like taking a state licensing exam, for instance), I now aim to be there an hour in advance.
If I did this for everything in my life, like a lunch meeting, I wouldn’t get anything done.
[/quote]
This is what I was trying to say. This is why I don’t do lunch meetings. For me to be absolutely certain I’ll be somewhere on time, I need to be an hour early. Life does not always allow you to be an hour early for everything.
[Quote=enipla]
I’m really not trying to be snarky. Obsidian, does it take you significantly different amounts of time to get ready on different days, or for different occasions?
[/quote]
It actually does. Sometimes less because I missed something, sometimes more because something happened. I have to allow time for the worst, but be careful not to allow too much time, so that I end up getting distracted by something else. It’s a ballance. My tendancies to distractedness and clumsiness are far worse in the morning than at any other time.
I can be somewhere by 8. I can not be somewhere at 8. It’s a small but very signifigant difference. Punctual people have this ability to show up somewhere at a particular time that just blows me away. I have coworkers who pull into the parking lot at 8:55 every single day. How in hell do they do that?