[QUOTE=Dinsdale]
Captain, I think we’ve encountered a rift in the time-space continuum.
This really strikes me as incredible, unless your “getting ready in the morning” includes something a heck of a lot more than waking up, getting cleaned and dressed, caring for pets, and feeding yourself. Takes me maybe 25 minutes to shower, dress, and fix breakfast and lunch. Then I have up to 20 minutes to sit down and drink coffee, read the paper, and chat with my wife and kids. But at 6:45, I’m on my way out the door, because the train isn’t going to wait for me.
I’m not sure why Obsidian took it so critical to be asked if she had a diagnosed disorder, because the behavior she describes certainly strikes me as incredibly far from any range of normal I have encountered. In the other thread she states that she “just can’t” hang her keys up when she comes in the door. Bullshit! Instead she chooses to be distracted by cats, people, mail, packages, etc. If she wanted to say, “Everyone wait 5 seconds while I hang up my keys” she darn well could. But she has made a choice as to how she is comfortable living her life.
[/QUOTE]
My morning isn’t complicated: wake up, take a shower, get dressed, eat, leave. I honestly can’t tell you where extra time shows up or disappears, because there’s little room for variance from what I can tell.
You are right about the distraction and hanging up of keys. I HAVE to put my keys, my coat, my shoes, etc. in EXACTLY the same place, or I will not be able to find them. I’ve been 10 minutes late to work because my keys were on the wrong side of the dresser and I had no idea where to look for them. About half the time when I get home, I get distracted and put my coat in the wrong spot. Come morning, I can’t find it. The choice is, I should know to keep myself focused when I have these sorts of rituals because I know how it affects me, but it takes a lot of effort, more for me than for many others.
This is very unfair of you. For me, as said in an earlier post, this lack of understand must be like when I see someone who is out of shape and can’t figure out why they can’t get motivated to exercise. Sure, it takes a lot of effort for me but I have no idea how the amount of effort I need compares to theirs. If I’m going to accuse them of consciously “choosing to be fat” or “choosing to be unhealthy”, it’s just as unfair as accusing me of “choosing to be late” or “choosing to be disrespectful”. There absolutely is a choice, but it is not necessarily the choice that it appears to be.
This is dishonest of you. I never said it was an acceptable excuse, it was simply the explanation of why it happens. An excuse implies that I expect people to accept what happened in light of the excuse; I was not looking to be excused. An acceptable excuse is “Sorry, there was a nasty accident, and they closed the road so the medevac could land.” An unacceptable excuse is “Sorry, I was going to be on time, but my show was almost over.” An explanation is simply telling you what happened. I’m not looking for sympathy, or approval or whatever else. I simply want you to understand that when I’m late, it’s not because I’m disrespecting you, or even expect you to be okay with it, my tardiness has nothing to do with you, so stop taking it so darn personally.