[QUOTE=Heffalump and Roo]
The amount of times that you “forgot” in this example is extremely high. I’ve often found that when we forget things, it’s a psychological way of not wanting to remember. In a sense, it’s a way to allow ourselves to do what we want when we actually know that what we want doesn’t comport with reality. For you, how does this forgetting work? Do you forget other things, like the colors or words or the like? If not, why do you feel that forgetting in regards to time should be different?
[/QUOTE]
I imagine you’re being a little facetious with “the colors”, but you’re not far from the truth. My memory and thought processes work in, what I understand, are very unusual ways. That is, I can specifically remember anything if I put forth the effort to do so (like most people), but other times I’ll forget things like “important” conversations as recently as earlier in the morning or names of people I know very well. I’ll remember directions to a place I haven’t been in months or years, but get lost (at least, as close as I can get to getting lost) going to places I go all the time. Similarly, as far as thought processes, sometimes I have to spend an excessive amount of time on simple arithmatic, othertimes I simply “know” the answer to a fairly complicated problem, and can’t explain how I arrived there. This carries over into conversations as well, where one moment I’ll dumb something down so much it offends the person I’m talking to because it makes them feel stupid, but other times I’ll talk completely over his head and not know how I can possibly make it any simpler. But to me, each explanation seems equally complex (or not so, as the case may be).
I understand that, in many cases, that sort of behavior can be treated as a psychological underpinning, such that I think I want to remember, but deep down I don’t. For instance, when I was in middle school, I was somewhat of an underacheiver because I simply didn’t study, didn’t do homework, didn’t pay attention, whatever… Now, I’m a 4.0 PhD student, but my habits have only changed slightly. I almost never study for exams, and when I do, only briefly, I only do work that’s graded (including not doing text book readings or practice problems), and I still don’t pay attention by playing videogames, instant messaging, or even sleeping in class. One could argue that I was unconsciously choosing to underperform. The difference is, there, the habits (or rather, lack thereof) I can change to improve my performance are obvious; I could have paid more attention, studied, etc.
For my punctuality, it seems it would require a complete rewiring of how my mind functions… keeping day planners, setting alarm clocks, whatever, doesn’t seem to change it. The only way I’ve found to correct it is to REALLY think of the time I have to be there as much earlier than it actually is, but even that is a fragile illusion. For instance, the ONLY way I can get to work before 7:00 is to think about it as if I have to be there by 6:30 and plan for that… but in that case, I’ll get there anywhere from 6:20 to 6:55ish. I REALLY just plain don’t understand how some of the people I can work with can show up every single day within 5 minutes of their scheduled arrival time.