[QUOTE=Frylock]
I am punctual.
-FrL-
[/QUOTE]
OK, color me confused on who/what tardy people you are defending. Are you feeling some other posters are being personally attacked, and you’re defending them? Are you just sympathetic to the late everywhere?
You haven’t made your point why WE should be sympathetic to late people (ADD or otherwise) spoiling our plans. Just because YOU don’t mind and YOU aren’t late, aren’t really to the point. That only explains why YOU don’t care. It doesn’t tell me why I shouldn’t when it’s my time involved.
I totally agree btw, with your position that we shouldn’t assume malice.
But the OP is about CAN YOU, or CAN YOU NOT choose. Somehow it is being recast as “are people intentionally late? and if they’re unintentionally late/have difficulty being on time, should they be blamed?”
Yes, blame is implicit in saying someone has a choice, and chose not to. But that’s not a personal attack on anyone, or any particular situation. Rather, it’s an offshoot from several people (I thought you were one of them, but I may be confused by your “tardy-defender” terminology) who are saying that some people just cannot help it (ie have no choice) and are therefore completely innocent and unable to do anything about the situation.
If you’re just supporting the downtrodden everywhere, then go to, but at that point your position is so all-inclusive as to be non-existent, IMO.
I won’t defend the tardy myself, I DO blame them for choosing to be rude to me. If I’m wrong, they’ll tell me what’s going on when the arrive, and I will change my mind and keep my good opinion of them. If they just show up late, with a “what can you do?” attitude, well, I could explain at length or briefly (HELLO, alarm clock and watch alarm), or I can decide they’re inconsiderate bastard if they make a habit of it, and associate with people who choose to care about the feelings of others.
Not that complicated, really.
StarvingbutStrongI feel your pain! I HATE having to write people up or take someone to task, it literally makes me sick to my stomach, because I have a problem with avoiding conflict. But I started writing people up after finding that it’s never just one time, or occasionally, for some people. And, besides the 2 that were fired, several others who I was forced to write up suddenly became punctual when they found out they’d been written up for arriving late.
This is the kind of tardiness that is pretty much endemic, IMO, people who just can’t be arsed to show up until you show them the consequences otherwise. Both rude and dangerous to your employment.
I’m not just a coworker, I’m also their shift supervisor, so it’s NOT someone else’s problem. If I don’t “put it on the record”, it can be swept under the rug pretty much indefinitely. I don’t even care when it happens occasionally, shit happens. (by occasionally, I mean once a month or so)
But I don’t know if these tardy people don’t notice how often they do it or don’t care. I’ve always spoken to them personally before the instance I write them up for, to let them know it’s about to become their problem instead of mine, and why. And yet every person I’ve verbally cautioned, I’ve also had to write up.
The fact that once their job was on the line, their behavior changes, tells me it’s not something out of their control. But it’s pretty selfish IMO to force me to take it to that point. Basically, they’re saying, as long as YOU’RE the only one inconvenienced, even once it’s pointed out in no uncertain terms, I still just don’t care.
And the sad thing is, while they’re on their way out, YEP, I continue to do their work and their projects until they’ve eventually burned their last bridge.
Actually, I should be glad that tardiness is usually the first sign that someone can’t be arsed to do their job. At least it’s something I can document! (the sad thing? We swipe in to get into the building! It’s not like I can falsify this stuff, in fact I can pull up months of OTHER instances if I wanted to!)
But it sucks if you’re just the coworker and your supervisor won’t follow up. I’ve had that happen to me also, where it’s something more nebulous like unfinished work, and you don’t want to pick a fight, cause you have to WORK with these people. Le sigh. Work hard. Working with slackers harder.