[QUOTE=Quiddity Glomfuster]
Yes, and people with ADD get fired. A lot. Their other troubles also contribute to problems at work but those who have lateness will get in trouble if they can’t fix that. So, you see, this bull about ‘choice’ isn’t terribly sensible. Clearly nobody would ‘choose’ to be fired. I’ll bet that at least some of those folks who lost their jobs told you they tried to change but just can’t manage it. So now you have links to stores with alarm clocks and things you can offer the next problem employees.
It’s not. But if you, alice, now have information that your late friend does not, would it kill you to pass it on? No. So kwitcherbitchin’.
For instance? I just keep seeing the same questions over and over. Which I have answered. Over. And over.
I wouldn’t say ‘all’. And why not give people the benefit of the doubt?
Wouldn’t be the default necessarily. First would be my perennial ‘why would this happen? what is the explanation?’. And then I’d consider all possibilities, including that there might be something physical or mental afoot.
My default soon may be that people either have major comprehension problems or else act deliberately obtuse to be provocative, though.
Really not.
Nope.
I did.
Yes, and most of the ‘reasons’ for tardiness you’ll find online, until only recently, were things like being passive-aggressive, being a jerk, etc. In short, the things many people on this thread already believe. Because they never learned better.
People with ADD can be pretty bad at self-awareness and, again (SO sick of repeating myself), it is only recently that it was understood that ADD continues to adulthood. So nobody ever suggested to my BF it might be a problem and even when I figured it out, there was a lot of disbelief by others who still thought ADD was a kids’ disorder only. Unless you work in advocacy, you really don’t understand how little the general public understands about issues like these.
Again, (sighhhhhhhh), one of THE signature characteristics of people with ADD is that their symptoms do not present identically constantly.
And again (and again, and again), the products on those links have been developed only in the last few years. Literally. This stuff is new. Very new. First you have to realize you might have ADD and then you need the wherewithal to go hunting for products for it. Hell, you see people asking SDMB things they could easily look up on the internet. It’s a mistake to assume that everybody is as bright and resourceful as yourself, and even more so to think that everybody understands about disorders.
Hey. You’re a responsible adult, aren’t you? You’re a boss, aren’t you? Why should I have to help you by finding information you should already have?? (see how that works? :rolleyes: ) So here, per others’ remarks, I’ll hold your hand and find some nice informations for you:
http://www.ldpride.net/work.htm
http://www.ldpride.net/work.htm#Reasonable%20Workplace%20Accommodations
Now you’ve got a start, go find your own information.
Never said it so I don’t know where you got it. I said ‘tell them you’ll leave without them if they’re late’. I said ‘lower your expectations’. I said ‘give them the links I gave you’. I’m just saying be understanding while doing the above. Would that kill you?
The rest of your post is a mixture of hyperbole and slippery slope. Not biting.
[/QUOTE]
You know, I get the feeling that you think of “the boss” as this unfeeling asshat who just loooves to fire people who are REALLY TRYING HARD and just aren’t understood. So someone has undiagnosed ADD in my workplace and that’s why they can’t make it to work to dispatch Boeing 747s. Well, as long as they are undiagnosed I have no right to go around diagnosing them or anyone else. We are extremely open to people changing positions. The people who were fired wanted to have their cake and eat it too: have a more responsibility and pay that goes with it, and also work a shorter shift than the job required. One of the things I tell everyone in the training process is that this job isn’t for everyone.
If someone can’t show up to work on time, I don’t trust them to be able to safely dispatch a 747, which also has many steps which must be done in order and under a departure deadline. So, no, diagnosing mental illness has never been one of the steps in counseling someone who’s not performing up to par. I always ask if they are having some problem that’s affecting them, because, like I said, we are EXTREMELY understanding. Frankly, it’s none of my business what’s going on in their personal life, unless they choose to share. And I work 12 hours a day with these people, doing the same job, pretty much, and I did their EXACT job before I started supervising it, so I both know them very well and understand exactly what their job and job requirements are.
There are some Dogbert bosses out there, but most workplaces have at least some people up the management chain who are trying to make things work out for company and employee alike. I can’t be expected to accomodate for COWORKER who hasn’t met the job requirement, in the absence of any such request from them. (They’re not my employees, I didn’t hire them, and I don’t own the company, I’m not “THE boss”, I’m just the person who’s supervising them, and in this case I’m actually just their shift supervisor. In this case, it means I do the same job as them, except I tend to the stuff that needs more experience, and also get to attempt to smooth customer and pilot feathers when there’s a fuck up in operations. So not only am I well prepared to do every job they do (and do, on a daily basis), I also have to make sure that nothing slips through the cracks so I have to keep an eye that they’re covering their areas as well as whatever area I’m covering that night.
Most “bosses” also have their own “bosses” in our crazy mixed up world, and similarly have to meet their expectations, regardless of our own fucked up ness. It’s bosses all the way up. And some days it becomes obvious that the people running things are equally fucked up, and doing the best they know how to do. And not to turn this into politics, but sometimes the bosses are the MOST fucked up and unable to do the job. But it starts with actually showing up. That’s kinda basic to accomplishing anything in any area.
Okay, and here’s where I’m a bitch. I really PERSONALLY don’t care about some random person’s ADD when they’ve made a commitment to work, meet with, or complete a project for me. They can make their promises based on what they can accomplish just like I do in my life.
If a friend of mine is close enough to share our various diagnoses, THEN I CARE. If my coworker shares that they’re having a hard time for whatever reason, THEN I CARE. I’m not going to cut the entire world a break on what most people can reasonably manage because it’s possible to have ADD. There’s a million ways to be impaired in this world, yet you still want your flight to leave on time, and that’s not going to happen if the bags are late or the fuel is late or the catering is late or the pilot is late. And none of those are going to happen if my stupid coworker is llate and I really don’t care why, at this point.
Just for the record, I personally don’t have vitriol about anyone being late if they haven’t harmed me by doing so. If it’s just a social thing, I find it inconsiderate and rude but I’m certainly not furious or yelling. Somehow it’s being assumed that people who DON’T LIKE to be kept waiting are extremely upset. I DON’T LIKE to be cut off in traffic, I don’t dwell upon it and froth. I think “How rude and unsafe” and don’t do it myself. Similarly with someone who doesn’t show up. It’s only after it’s chronic that you have the OPTION to realize that “John can’t get there on time”. And yeah, I’m going to get annoyed during the period it takes me to realize that, but I won’t demean him or whatever. I may find I no longer want to hang out, because there’s a little too much of me being left hanging involved. Those are all personal preferences, you are free to have different emotional reactions to such behavior.