Is reality TV a fad?

In a way we’ve come full circle with scripted mockumentary shows based on Reality TV like The Office.

I thought it was when it started. I had hoped it was. It is clear it is here to stay.

Or promoted enough. Kevin & Bean on KROQ said they could make a potato famous – and set out to prove it. ISTR they got it onto Seinfeld.

You guys are missing one piece of the reality tv puzzle - the narcissism epidemic that the U.S. is currently undergoing. The people on tv who score the highest for narcissism are reality tv “stars.” Combine that with cheap production costs and all the narcissists at home watching, dreaming about their chance for fame, and I don’t see reality tv going away any time soon.

Reality TV people are never going on strike so that’s another plus for the TV networks.

No, it’s more like An American Family.

However, as I said, current reality shows are generally game shows – you compete to win a prize – and that started with Survivor. The shows are so cheap to produce that they’ll always be around. You don’t need great ratings to make a profit.

Whale Wars? I thought that was considered one of the lamer reality shows. “Let’s throw the stinky butter at them!”

I think reality TV is here to stay but the viewing public will be demanding better quality. The barrage of crap “follow the celebrity couple around” (Nick & Jessica, The Beckhams, Bill Rancic & some chick, Travis Barker & wife, Carmen Electra & Dave Navarro, Peter Brady & nutty chick, etc. etc.) shows are probably coming to an end thankfully.

A couple weeks ago, I stumbled across an old VHS copy of “Who Wants To Marry A Millionaire?” I had taped for my girlfriend at the time and smirked to remember people proclaiming reality TV “dead” in the ‘scandal’ that followed it.