Is recalling Schwarzenegger going too far?

There is a six month “cooling off” period after the election date (or was it the installation date?) in the state’s recall law. I don’t have a cite, I saw this on CNN when they interviewed Sec. of State Shelley last week. So who ever gets in, has at least a few months to prove him/herself.

The “cooling off” period I believe only applies to Davis if he survives a recall.

A recall attempt against any replacement governor could be mounted as soon as s/he takes office.

Effectively, it would take the same amount of time.

Does any have a cite for this oft-repeated rumor? I think I’ve heard that claim in 20 threads in the last 2 weeks with no backup whatsoever.

The Secretary of State’s office reported it.

This is from the LA Times March 26, 2003

I’ll take that as a valid cite, BobT, however, your quote doesn’t show that the SoS said it, but that the LA Times said it. It’d still be nice to get a little backup so we all know this isn’t an urban legend.

This is from the California Secretary of State’s website:

The Secretary of State does not state that Reagan himself was a particular target, there have not been 31 different governors of California since 1911 and it seems unlikely that one governor, especially one who was in office for 8 years, would never have been the subject of a recall attempt.

http://www.ss.ca.gov/elections/elections_recall_faqs.htm

It does not say that 31 governors have survived recall attempts (there have only been 22-23 gubernatorial terms in the intervening time), but that there have been 31 attempts. Obviously someone was unpopular enough to merit more than one recall effort.

Yes, and it would seem likely to me that the governors who were in office for 8 years would be the ones to have more recalls mounted against them.

Pat and Jerry Brown both had their share of enemies while governor of California. So did Ronald Reagan. So did Earl Warren.

A recall attempt in the past was usually nothing more than some crackpot who filed papers with the Secretary of State because they didn’t like the governor’s stance on one particular issue.

My hunch is that Jerry Brown was the subject of the most attempts, followed by his father Pat. I’m sure that more than one person was ticked off about Jerry Brown’s handling of Prop 13.

Davis is the 15th governor of California since the recall was approved in 1911.

It’s Gray, not Grey, and the next general election will be irrelevant to whether he keeps his job or not.

Grey(out) was my intention! and on your second point, well, I stand corrected.

In further response to this, MSNBC mentions today:

They don’t cite a source, although, being NBC, they probably reported on it when it happened and have it in their archives.