Is the flavor of a cake determined by the bread part or the icing?

You knew this was inevitable, right? Chocolate Angel Food Cake.

I am Welsh.

What do you mean by this?

I’ve been pretending to despise Welshmen for years. If you prefer I’ll be bigoted against Andorrans.

I have no preference. Please, do continue to pretend despising whoever you wish.

Nah. If there’s an actual Welshperson on the board, I shall be retarget my hatred toward … let me think … Lemurians.

Ottawa? How did that come into it? Don’t make me introduce you to my Grandfather’s shillelagh!

OK, so there’s my point exactly. You can a have an Angel cake with cocoa in it, but not a chocolate angel cake. Either it has no fat, in which case it is a cocoa angel cake, or it has added fat (and therefore needs baking soda or powder to keep it from collapsing) and is therefore a chocolate chiffon cake.

But Angel cake (and I would argue, sponge cake) can never be chocolate.

I really can’t contribute anything to any thread in which cake is repeatedly called bread. Cake is not bread. Cake may have a bready texture but it isn’t bread. I have a headache from the very idea.

If you added chocolate, would it cause it to collapse and become a fallen angel cake?

How did Ottawa come into it? You know very well that, as I hate everything, I randomly choose specific nationalities to be prejudiced against in every post, and it was Canada’s turn in the barrel.

I swear. Sometimes I think you’re from Dis. You’re lucky I lurves ya so much.

If blod kaker (from the link) doesn’t have blood, then cocoa cake is certainly chocolate cake.

What flavor is yellow cake? (And don’t say uranium.) Is it ever frosted with anything but chocolate? Whatever it is, with chocolate icing, is my favorite. And my birthday is June 7.

Devil’s food cake.

If you did a poll of the general public I would bet a majority would call yellow cake with chocolate icing “Chocolate Cake”. I don’t agree but that’s the world we live in.

Nope.

I actually remembered that thread that’s why I said the general public.

I don’t think the general public would be that far off from the poll. I mean, I understand that the Dope can be especially pedantic, but we have something like 95% agreement there, which is incredibly high. Just do a quick google image search for “chocolate cake” and one for “yellow cake.” Almost all of the “chocolate cake” images are images of cake with chocolate/cocoa in the cake part. Meanwhile, nearly half the “yellow cake” images are of chocolate frosted yellow cake.

Perhaps it varies by region, but I’d be surprised if most people called a yellow cake with chocolate frosting a “chocolate cake” around here.

I have never heard a cake referred to by the flavour of the frosting instead of the flavour of the cake itself.

Skald, what’s wrong with just hating Etruscans? That simplifies everything.

You know, the Fates* really do have it in for me. I cannot make the smallest claim without them bashing me over the head with it.

We have an exchange student joining our household today, and she’s from Guadaloupe. So I looked up some recipes to help her feel at home on her first day.

Accordingly, we just made a vanilla sponge cake with applejack and lime syrup to go with the sliced bananas and a stabilized whipped cream frosting.

And then it happened: I heard myself refer to it as a “Banana Cream Cake.” And that, without a doubt, is what it is.

:sigh:

*Skaldy seldom mentions them, but I’ve often suspected that he has them on speed-dial.

Oh, and Skald, you didn’t respond to my earlier question about which recipe you wanted, so I’m defaulting to gobs:

Again, I will say I agree with the majority here but as I wrote above I have seen personally a great deal of people not bat an eye if Yellow Cake with chocolate icing is called “Chocolate cake.” A further data point, TastyKake’s yellow cake with chocolate icing is called a “Chocolate Junior.”