is there a conservative version of SDMB?

To the rest: The OP is looking for a conservative board along the lines of the SDMB. Please stay on topic.

Here’s one. The Conservative Debate Pub: A place for conservatives to debate the issues. Respectful liberals and others are welcome.. To bad the last post was Jun 2008.

I wasn’t joking.

I guess one might speculate that the reason this place died, is because respectful and liberal are mutual exclusives as well. :wink:

You might find some luck at the Dan Carlin forums. Though they’re more libertarian-ish, from what I’ve seen.

[Moderator Note]And I told y’all to stay on topic. If you want to play “My wing is better than your wing!” fly over to the appropriate forum. Again, this thread is for helping the OP find a conservative version of the SDMB.[/Moderator Note]

Not quite what you are looking for but I have come across lively-but-respectful, worthy debate in the comments section of several of the conservative and/or libertarian blogs that I read.

Will Wilkinson’s blog (libertarian) comes immediately to mind, but also The American Scene (conservative), Eunomia (paleo-con) and Secular Right (conservative, atheist).

Of course, the debates are limited to what the blogger blogs but they are often very good debates.

Quoted from above…
“I too would put the SDMB comfortably in the liberal category, but I would attribute it to the demographic that posts on forums. Younger people, college students, philosophers…
As a right of center independent I find it hard to find a lunch table to sit at here.”

Darn it! I’ve been a member of the wrong forum for all these year, and I didn’t even know it. I’m very close to 67 yrs old, and campaigned for Barry Goldwater in my twenties as a college student. Now I am a Democrat more or less by default, as the Pubs have been taken over by a type of conservative that I don’t recognize or like.

Of course, apparently I’ve been doing this all wrong…getting much more liberal as I age. Some folks say that I should have done the opposite - being liberal as a youth with no world experience and full of irrational dreams of utopia, and becoming more conservative as I age and become more wise and worldly.

Or maybe I’ve just become more understanding of the complexities of human society, and not just focused on myself and thinking everyone else should be as “great” at ordering their lives as I though I was. Sorry for the mini-rant…I’ll jump off the soapbox now.

This is that place. Conservatives here are less numerous but more intelligent, IMHO.

Why don’t you people read what he’s saying?

Mosier, you might try cellar.org. I don’t think they are a conservative bunch per se, but it seems like maybe they have more of them than the SDMB does. There are some interesting threads in the Politics section.

We had a poll on Dopers’ age soon after polls were enabled, but you can’t search for “how” “old” “are” “you?” here, so I couldn’t find it.

Old folks: stand and be counted.

How old are you?

What dopers were born in the same year?

Thanks for that link. The brief lurking I did there looks promising!

Why don’t you take note that I apologised long before you admonished me?

I actually think the older age here might have more to do with us leaning liberal: For the generation before mine, there was a much larger barrier to learning to use computers. Only those people who tend to embrace new ideas would probably make it. And it makes sense that liberal in that are might spread to other areas in life.

Most of the conservatives I actually know on message boards are actually my generation or younger. Confirmation bias? I dunno. But it’s at least an interesting idea.

Perhaps the liberals here are more likely to voice their opinion due to their liberalness, and the conservatives are more likely to observe or lurk and not post based on their conservativeness. Maybe we need a straight up poll: “Conservative or Liberal?”

The political compass might be more useful - there were some polls/debates on this a while back, but maybe it needs revisiting.

Based on comments that people have made in some threads, I think that’s true.

Heck, even in this non-GD thread, you have one person saying that the terms “conservative” and “intellectual” are mutually exclusive. You also have one person sniping at this topic by saying, “A message board filled with ‘your people’ that you can sit down and have chatty posts without feeling like you have 3 eyes in your forehead?” (an extremely unfair characterization, since the thread is specifically about looking for more balanced discussion). I wish I could say that these were isolated incidents, but I’ve been here long enough to know that they aren’t.

I’m no surprised that many conservatives choose to shy away from these discussions, given the general tenor of these responses.

You’re very welcome. There are a lot of things I like about that board. The Image of the Day is one of them. Hope you stick around there. :slight_smile: