is there a conservative version of SDMB?

[Moderator Warning]You’ve also been here long enough to know to stop hijacking a thread, especially after a Moderator has posted notes about the problem. Infraction issued.[/Moderator Warning]

Because I wasn’t intending to address only you (or only the two posts quoted), but to reiterate the general problem of dashed-off answers that misunderstand what they’re responding to.

But, I am reassured that you, at least, won’t ever, ever do it again. :wink:

It’s not usually worth the time it takes to write out a response, because so many discussions lead to baseless name calling. For example, who can argue with Rigamarole when his only solution is to call one non-intellectual? In fact, with that attitude, I’m wondering if he’s trying to call himself a conservative. I’m still undecided by his argument, though. Are all non-intellectuals conservative, or is it that all conservatives are non-intellectual? If the former, then Rigamarole may not be a conversative after all, but if the latter, then he’s definitely amongst our ranks. :stuck_out_tongue:

Reddit - Dive into anything and Reddit - Dive into anything

They aren’t exactly conservative-only, but there’s a great deal many conservative posters, and good replies are upvoted no matter what person made them.

[Moderator Warning]You would think seeing that JThunder got an infraction for doing this would be enough of a warning for others, but apparently not.
Infraction issued for ignoring Moderator instructions.[/Moderator Warning]

Once you get used to the format, it ain’t half bad. Diverse views without too much juvenile behavior.

I would like to discuss these moderator actions further, so I’ve opened a thread in ATMB here:

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?p=12371687#post12371687

Yeah, the format’s weird at first. If you have Greasemonkey installed in your browser then there’s a few scripts to change its appearance. Most of the juvenile behaviour can be completely hidden by selecting “order by best first” in the comments.

I said that. I am very much right-leaning. That characterization is how I feel chatting in a board of liberals. I wasn’t sniping at the topic. I wish I knew a place where all were welcome, and all were united by a common belief in skepticism, and with a conservative tilt, like the SDMB for conservatives.

What do you think of the selections so far?

Doesn’t seem that conservative - more like GD in about 2003 - but that cellar.org place definitely seems like familiar territory:

Perhaps one of the things you like about the SD is that there are so few conservatives? Nothing makes it so interesting if you are in the minority and can express your views to others. If it were overly conservative, you might find being in the majority to be boring

Ah. I’m sorry for misconstruing your remark. I hope you can understand how and why some of us misconstrued it, but nevertheless, I am indeed sorry that I took it the wrong way.

And I hope that apology isn’t considered off-topic.

The OP is a liberal, and specifically referred to being in the majority here to be boring.

Darwin Central is a lot more, err, right-wing than I remember, but when I posted, the forum had the highest ratio of PhDs to non-PhDs that I could remember of any general forum. I do like Dave Ramsey’s political forum but there isn’t much traffic and skepticism isn’t necessarily appreciated.

If you broaden the definition of a forum to include blogs, the selections become considerably wider, but duking it out in blog commentaries aren’t really my thing. I like seeing new topics brought up by others, not just the blog author(s).

Reddit seems a very viable/promising candidate, haven’t dug into it much.

JThunder, I’m sorry for writing a remark in a way that it could be misconstrued. No problem. :slight_smile:

A sincere apology such as yours is never off-topic.

Is this in reference to post #16?

Well, I hope you’ll forgive me for thinking it looked exactly like ‘you people’ meant the two people you had just quoted.

I said I was sorry. I didn’t promise I’d never do it again. :wink:

I doubt such a thing exists.

Social conservativism is all about anger, moral righteousness, and self-indulgence. It is hard to imagine a board with a majority of those members being civil in debates with each other and the occasional liberal.

Think about how conservatism’s goals. They want to dictate morals to everybody and anyone who disagrees is degrees of evil away from Satan. They think that people should be completely non-communal, they don’t want anyone messing with them in other words, and they always always consider themselves right, not because of facts, but because god tells them, or they just simply “know”. I would love to find a board filled with conservatives that can debate intelligently without resorting to the kind of name-calling and vile-spewing BS that conservative boards are known for.

I think the very nature of conservatism makes such a board’s existence difficult

Is there a wiki link to this? :dubious: