Is there a form of speech therapy to lower the pitch of your voice?

Is there a way you can lower the pitch of your voice? I know you can do it if you try, is there a way to train yourself to speak with a lower voice?

bump

Absolutley. Maggie Thatcher was someone who deliberately learnt to speak an octave lower in order to sound more important and less shrill.

As to how, I suggest a speech coach

Well, do you sing? I don’t exactly know how to describe it but I learned to pitch my voice for speaking by using my throat muscles to change the size of the resonance chamber in my respiratory tract to correspond to the sensation I feel when I am singing lower notes. You also speak slightly slower than normal.

I work on the telephone, I do customer service. Posture is important, as is facial expression [oddly enough]. If you are slumped over and are sort of grumpy looking, somehow that transmits in your voice. If you sit up properly and actually smile you sound more upbeat. I can sound downright perky if i need to. Also lowering the register of your voice and speaking slower makes you easier to understand on the phone.

Also, make sure that you speak through your throat instead of your nose. This lowered mine about 1/2 to a full octave. The way to test is to hold your nose when you speak (in private, of course!) If your speaking is effected by holding your nose, you use your nose too much. (Did that come out right???)
best wishes,
hh

I knew that reading all of those terrible gossip magazines laying around in the break room would pay off! Justin Timberlake was supposed to have done this too.

I would stoop even lower and say you should speak from your chest. It is essential to use the diaphragm to support the tone–you are pushing the air up from there and the throat should be fairly relaxed. If you feel strain in your throat then you’re not doing it right. (I find these techniques difficult to get across in writing.)

A friend of mine took some voice coaching and once exercise they did was to hum “ahh” and “ohh” while bent over from the waist. Apparently this helps to develop resonance throughout the respiratory tract. Beats me.

These technqiues are largely geared towards improving tone and intonation, which will give you a more powerful speaking voice, although I’m not so sure what to do about the pitch.

Umm…yeah. “Voice lessons,” I’m sure. :wink:

I first started taking voice (singing) lessons as a freshman in college. My instructor taught me how to use the diaphragm as the source of the energy, and to sing from the chest instead of the head. She told me that to maximize the benefit, I should speak that way all the time. I found it pretty much impossible, though, for social reasons. My “normal” speaking voice is kind of high…something like a slightly pitched-down Kermit the Frog. But the singing voice that emerged from training was completely different – a rich bass-baritone. The speaking voice that came along with it was once described as that of an ultra smooth new age radio station DJ. Trying to maintain that voice in everyday conversation was just too jarring, though. People who were already familiar with my natural voice complained that I was trying to sound like Barry White.

Not that it hasn’t been useful. I can make myself heard and understood by an auditorium full of chattering high school seniors – without a microphone. I have a phone voice that can go from soothing to intimidating and back again whenever a client decides to get ugly. And I can do the whole classically-trained Shakespearean actor sound, which has come in handy once or twice on stage…

This is not to say, of course, that standard voice training will necessarily deepen one’s pitch. That’s just what happened in my case.

One thing I can suggest – if you’re into singing at all, even with the car stereo – is to sing along with someone who is at the lower end of your range, and do so frequently.