Is there a “good” age to become a parent?

By “society” I guess you mean “taxpayers”. And they should supply you with THEIR money to raise YOUR kids.

Or do you mean that employers should be forced by the government to provide you with a “living wage”? In other words a wage that you could not get an employer to pay you unless he was forced to. And what if he refused to give you what you consider a “living wage”. Should he go to jail or have has business taken over by the government? And if the employer didn’t want to give you a job at all, I suppose he should be forced to not only give you a job but a job at what you consider to be a " fair" salary.

The Soviet Union closed down a long time ago, but there’s always Cuba!

Do you know what its like to be an employer?

I think my sister and I would have killed each other if we had had to share a bedroom. So I’ve been waiting on having kids until we got a house that has enough bedrooms for the number of kids we eventually want to have, just in case my being hard to get along with is genetic…

That is the downside. I was 33 when my son was born, 35 when my first daughter was born, and 39 when my other daughter was born. At that time, I had the realization that I’d be 57 by the time she graduated from high school, and in my sixties by the time she gets out of college. My wife’s a couple of years younger, but keeping up with three kids aged 10 and under when we’re both in our 40s now is a challenge. And the prospect of having to be well into our sixties before all of our kids are out on their own is somewhat sobering as well – there are things we’d like to do that we probably never will with kids around, and we may be too old by the time they’re not.

On the one hand, I really didn’t believe I was ready (financially, emotionally, etc.) to have kids any earlier. We could have probably managed the financial part if we had, but I really thought both my wife and I needed to mature more (each in different ways). What I failed to consider at the time was the degree to which having kids matures you in spite of yourself, assuming the basic raw material is there to begin with. I’m not sure that I wouldn’t have been a better, more successful person earlier in my life had I had the experience of having kids sooner. That’s not to say that I think the best way for a teenager to mature is to have kids – but once you reach your mid-twenties and are well on the way to where you want to be, there’s probably a case to be made for starting a family before you think you’re completely comfortable with the idea.

Looking back on it, I’d agree. Having kids changes you in some pretty fundamental ways, I think - or at least, I think it changed me.

The problem is of course that there is no way of knowing this in advance.

I think it depends more on where you are in your own personal timeline than your actual age.

A 22-year-old with a steady job he/she plans to stay in, a home and a probably stable relationship? Why not.

A 28-year-old half-way through a masters, a mountain in student depts, living in a rented room and met the SO last week? Too young.