Is there a specific term in animal psychology for the event of protective instructs kicking?

Hi
Is there a specific term in animal psychology for the event of protective instructs kicking in when bears feel that their cubs are threatened?

I look forward to your feedback.

reported for forum change

Moderator Action

Moving thread from ATMB to GQ.

A correction: that should be instincts.

I assume you mean instincts, not instructs.

If so, an instinct doesn’t have much to do with psychology, instincts are hardwired in. Cubs threatened --> protective measures isn’t all that different than hunger --> search for food.

Yes sorry autocorrect bungled the word.

Maternal aggression:

While I have never seen that instinct in action, there are other non-aggressive instincts that can also kick in. I was walking my dog in the woods and saw a sow with 2 cubs on the trail about 50 feet ahead of me. She had heard me coming and had stopped and turned around to face me. When I saw her I stopped dead in my tracks. She then nudged her cubs up a large nearby tree, took a defensive position at the base and waited for my next move. I took out my bear spray anticipating a bluff or real charge and backed away slowly with my eyes constantly watching her. She stayed in her position and I found another way back to the road. My keen-eyed Jack Russell terrier who routinely chases bears off my property missed the whole thing.

Thanks Sage Rat. I had seen the article but hadn’t read it. Thanks for that.
Thank you all.