Is there a way to make spoiler tags its own button on posts like quotes are?

I’m sorry you suck at typing.

There’s a difference between a need and a want. We all know this is not a NEED—we can all communicate without spoiler boxes and strikeout; if we do want them there are work arounds; the work arounds aren’t incredibly burdensome at [sup]1[/sup]/[sub]7[/sub] of a tweet.

It is, however, a want. It’s cool, and it would be slightly more convenient for many if not most of the people who post here.

There don’t seem to be any disadvantages other than (1) someone has to learn to do it (although Giraffe’s directions seem pretty good), and (2) someone has to sit down and do this, out of the goodness of their heart and taking time away from other projects. There’s room in the grey space, little icons exist, the software supports it, it wouldn’t change the look or functionality of the boards.

I’m sorry you’re afraid of making changes to the board.

Ooh, ooh! I vote strongly for getting rid of the buttons we don’t need/use and getting spoiler tag and del/strikethrough buttons.

Otherwise I use the code tag and replace the text. That’s so last century though!

Yeah, if there’s one thing I think most posters know about me, it’s that I hate changes to the board.

I’d vote for a strikethrough button also but only because I can never remember what the code is! Del, st, s, I sometimes try other ones as well.

Well you are a stickler…

This.

I can never remember if it’s spoil or spoiler, either.

Not if I’m typing. Who in the world would do that other than someone extremely absent-minded?

Again, I’m not typing and then I stop typing and pick up a mouse, and then start typing again. I’m not typing while reading, so yes if I reply to someone I use the mouse first. Since I rarely reply at all, I use the mouse exclusively 99% of the time. As I said above, I’m the last one to recommend a KB over a mouse, but doing both at the same time is downright silly to me.

I type the codes manually. I use ctrl-I and ctrl-B as much or more than highlight and buttons. But I do use the buttons. I manually quote tag sometimes, sometimes I highlight and quote tag. Depends on what is going on.

I would manually spoiler tag or use a button as the situation warranted.

But for a board that has a fairly strong spoiler policy, it seems stupid that we don’t have a simple spoiler button when it is easy to be implemented. Especially when we have two different ways to insert emoticons (besides manually typing them).

Surprisingly enough, the username a 15 year old picks does not always accurately capture the attitude of the user 8 years later. I’d change it but I have no idea what I want to change it to. Plus, I like when people abbreviate it as IS and then I feel all existential.

Does the silence from the Mods mean that they’re debating the topic? Or just said no right away and leaving us in silence?

I too would find this button much more useful than some of the others. I often use the quote button and then replace quote with spoiler too, just because I can never feel confident about which slash to use. Do any other sites with the same bulletin software have this button?

I know which choice my money is bet on.

Giraffe has indicated his board uses it.

Some of us are sucky typists. I find a button easier.

Fair enough. At least you gave an honest answer, rather than some convoluted “reason”.:wink:

I use vBulletin 4, so the editor window looks a bit different.

There’s a bunch of custom BB codes, but only a few have buttons. From left to right in the bottom right cluster, they include [noparse][ot][/noparse] (off-topic), [noparse][spoiler][/noparse], [noparse][pre][/noparse] (preformatted text), and [noparse][user][/noparse] (bolds user name and adds a link to their profile).

My site uses inline Reddit/Something Awful-style spoilers - black text on a black background integrated into the rest of the paragraph, with text revealed with hovering. The board’s culture isn’t as fanatic about spoilers as here.

I think it would be great, as I often post from my phone. Doing spoilers is somewhat convoluted.

Here are the button presses to close a spoiler, separated by >, for iPhone users:

“.?123” > “#+=” > [ > “123” > / > “ABC” > spoiler > “.?123” > “#+=” > ]

As you can see, it’s really not always easier to type in the code manually.

It’s tradition. We prefer not to use custom settings in vBulletin if at all possible. If it isn’t broken, there’s no reason to fix it. It will attract the wrong element to the site. :rolleyes: