Is there a way to make spoiler tags its own button on posts like quotes are?

Don’t use HTML or post in places that use BB code other than here.

For explanation, delete is a standard copyediting feature. Strikethrough is used by copyeditors to indicate where they want text deleted. Ergo, the connection of “delete” with a strikethrough.

Hey, don’t overwhelm them, guys! Let’s see if we can get the spoiler button before asking for everything.

Since it seems they went all old tyme publishing there, can we get “Preview Post” Changed to “Preview Article” and “Submit Reply” changed to “Start the Presses!”? :smiley:

Munch;15213885

If you still get confused, you could just use the quote button, then replace the word “QUOTE” with “SPOILER” in each tag.

dont work

Munch meant to use the quote button (or the PHP or Code button) in the advanced reply screen. If you highlight want you want to spoil and hit one of those buttons it’ll wrap the code tags around it and you would just change Quote/PHP/Code to Spoiler.
I assume this was the case, since I really can’t think of a time when you’d want to quote something someone else said and spoiler it, but if you did , you’d have to also delete everything in the first bracket. (QUOTE=Name######)
But that’s a bit complicated. Since TPTB haven’t given us a way to do it, it’s probably easier to just hand code it.

Wrong button. Highlight the text, click the quote function button (the one that looks like a cartoon quote) that hangs out with all the other buttons above the text box, then replace SPOILER with the word in the box. If that confuses you, maybe click the italics, bold or underline button, and replace the I, B or U with the word SPOILER.

So then do it this way?

Yeah that does work, although I gotta say that a tag would still be easier

No. Like this:

[noparse]

[/noparse]

becomes

[noparse]Wrong button. Highlight the text, click the quote function button (the one that looks like a cartoon quote) that hangs out with all the other buttons above the text box, then replace SPOILER with the word in the box. If that confuses you, maybe click the italics, bold or underline button, and replace the I, B or U with the word SPOILER.[/noparse]

becomes

Wrong button. Highlight the text, click the quote function button (the one that looks like a cartoon quote) that hangs out with all the other buttons above the text box, then replace SPOILER with the word in the box. If that confuses you, maybe click the italics, bold or underline button, and replace the I, B or U with the word SPOILER.

But it’s easier to just type [noparse]random crap[/noparse]

I agree. Do people really think that stopping typing and using a mouse to click a button, then going back to typing is easier? Do people really type with one hand, and a mouse in the other?

Errm, with a button, you can type everything, and then go back and highlight stuff and spoiler them. It’s exactly the same as (how I use) quote boxes.

That other hand isn’t typing:wink:

The only reason I use the quote button is for the blue context arrow that I could code manually but it would be a legitimately longer process than using the button.

It would be awesome if Giraffe’s method brought us two new buttons. Pretty please with cream and sugar on top.

A spoiler button makes a lot of sense. A strikethrough button would be somewhat useful as well.

I would be all for this addition as well.

No it’s not. It’s easier to lift your right hand from the keyboard, grip the mouse, click and highlight “random crap,” then click a spoiler button than it is to type 19 extra characters.

I think it’s easier.

Why are you “highlighting” random crap? 99% of the time you have to type it out rather than copy/paste it. I’m a firm believer in using the mouse as much as possible, and the keyboard as little as possible, but in this case I’m really bemused.

I’m bemused by your reply. I really don’t understand it. Can you explain it better, please?

It’s not copying and pasting. It’s highlighting something you already typed and clicking a button to wrap tags around it.

Unless you’re saying you can hit the spoiler button, then type the text you want to put in the box in between the tags that appear, which works also. Which is still much easier than manually typing the tags.

I was being facetious. It seemed like people were “typing” messages like kidnappers send ransom notes in movies.

Why can’t you type {spoiler} then type what you want, then {/spoiler}? You have to stop typing and pick up the mouse your way.

I really don’t care, as it doesn’t hurt or help me, but I fail to see how it is “easier”. The only time I ever use the buttons is to send an attachement.

Dont you stop typing and pick up the mouse to navigate to new threads? Don’t you pick up the mouse to click in the Reply box? Or do you navigate the forums using only your keyboard?

It seems like a lot of effort to type two seven-letter words, two sets of brackets, and a slash. Unless you really enjoy the extra typing. Having a button automates that. It’s really no effort to pick up the mouse and click a button. Unless you’re afraid you’ll sprain your wrist.