Is there any legitimate use for weenie-teenie Ziplocks?

My wife, who’s an assemblage artist, picked a couple bowfront dresser drawers out of the trash here in Detroit for use in an art project. The drawers were full of clothes and detritus, but one had a plate, a razor blade, a couple of those tiny Ziplock bags (like 1.5 cm by 1.5 cm), and a hot glue gun. Now I know, from watching Cops, that those little teeny baggies are used for crack, so I suspect that that’s the case here.

But maybe I’m wrong, and the baggies were used for some legitimate purpose. But what would that be? Who makes little baggies, and just what are their legitimate uses? It’s not like people eat sandwiches that are a centimeter square.

And while I’m at it, is there a drug-related use for a hot glue gun?

Yep, there sure is.

I used to sell these and about a dozen other sizes up to and including the “sandwhich” size.

Local shops would use them to display homemade jewelry. Sold a bunch to a model railroad shop for selling small parts and such. Another guy used them to display coins (which were those little cardboard holders).

Well, the previous owner could have been a scale-modeler, and used the baggies to hols small parts that he used the glue-gun to fix to his model. :dubious:

Psst! Hey buddy. I have a bridge here…one owner…cheap.

Computer-related items (cases, USB drive shells, etc) often come with a collection of itty-bitty screws, in a tiny ziplock bag. Keeps them from getting lost and since you often don’t use all the fasteners, or you have to keep removing and replacing them, a little ziplock bag is quite handy.

Some of the USB drive shells I’ve got come with 2 or 4 little screws (only a tad bigger than eyeglass screws) so the miniscule bags make sense.

I’m an artist and I use them to store little bits and bobs that I use in collage, etc., or beads. In general, teeny tiny little things that I want to keep separate from other teeny tiny little things. My girlfriend still calls them my “drug baggies”, though. Also, in my studio, I have 2 hot glue guns, a plate I mix paint on, and numerous Exacto knifes in addition to safety razors that I use to sharpen charcoal pencils. Frankly, you might find just about anything in my studio come to think of it.

Just those items in a discarded bureau drawer? I dunno…

My first thought was spices, but the smallest I’ve seen for that would be around 7x10 cm. Maybe they’re for small electronic or locksmithing parts.

The plate and razor blade make the purpose of this collection pretty clear, but the glue gun baffles me.

When I worked in a jewelry store, we used to receive handmade jewelry as well as gemstones in those tiny baggies. Also jewelry “findings.”

I can see the baggies, the glue gun and the razor blade being used in crafts. Maybe the plate was out of place.

Heh. My first thought was of crafts or modeling, with the plate there to catch glue drippings rather than getting the stuff on the dresser. Under your interpretation, I imagine the glue gun could be used as a heat source.

I’ve got quite a collection of those tiny zipseal bags. I use them for my craft items, like buttons, beads, and just odd little bits and pieces. I use larger bags for cross-stitch projects, and medium bags to hold my embroidery floss.

Polymer clay is big in crafting now. The clay worker needs a work surface, which is where the plate comes in handy…one CAN use a sheet of glass or tile, but an old plate is cheap and readily available. One needs a razor blade to cut bits of clay. And I would guess that the bags were used to store the cut-off bits of clay (even though polymer clay needs to be baked in an oven to harden it, it’s better to keep it in an airtight wrapping). Sometimes crafters make “millefiori” pieces or other intricate medallions, and they want to save the pieces separately.

In other words, I think that the previous owner might very well have had a legitimate use for the items in that dresser.

Other people have mentioned it but let me emphasize:

beads.

Beads.

BEADS!

I’ve never head of a hot-glue gun having any direct use for doing drugs. Maybe repairing a bong, but sniffing hot-glue doesn’t sound like my idea of a good time.

Heh. What Lynn said. You’ve got a dresser that belonged to a polymer clay freak, not a drug maven.

Representative of the craft.
http://www.diynet.com/diy/cr_boxes/article/0,2025,DIY_13747_2272828,00.html
http://www.diynet.com/diy/cr_jewelry/article/0,2025,DIY_13762_2801412,00.html

You stick the segment of cane in the teeny baggie to warm it up in hot water, to soften it, so you can push it through the pasta machine and flatten it out.

Note: This is not a hobby that your wife wants to get involved with, Zut. Trust me. That way lies madness. Those teeny millefiori canes are expensive, man. And so adorable. And so cute. And there are so many different ones. Before you know it, you’ll have knick-knacks with itty-bitty pieces of Sculpey glued onto them all over your house, and Sculpey bead necklaces out the wazoo, and she’ll be down at Hobby Lobby at all hours of the day or night, prowling up and down the polymer clay aisle, waiting for new shipments. You’ll wish she’d gone in for drugs. :smiley:

Sounds like crack to me. A mirror and a razor blade would be used to chop it up and separate the amount you want. I have no idea if a hot glue gun could be used to ‘cook’ it.

Could be heroin, too. Usually heated in a spoon over a candle or bunsen burner. Would a hot glue gun work? I dunno.

(I’ve never done crack or heroin, or even seen it. But I understand how it’s prepared).

As for uses for the little bags - go to any hobby shop and you’ll find walls full of parts in little bags like that. I can imagine plenty of uses for those little bags. Any time you need to store small things.

While not even close to being gemstones, my son used these for holding beads and other items in his third grade arts/crafts class. They come in handy for that kind of thing.

::: snorts derisively :::

Sam, honey, it’s clear you’ve never spent any time gluing styrofoam balls onto wobbly pipe cleaner headbands to make Bug Headdresses. :smiley:

A glue gun like the one I’m assuming is in Mrs. Zut’s dresser drawer, since I’m assuming that she’s got bead freak leftovers there, not drug paraphernalia, gets just barely hot enough to melt a tiny hole in a plastic picnic spoon. You can press it into your fingertip, or your arm, and burn yourself, but only if you try really, really hard. Hot enough to cook heroin? No way, sorry.

Also, there’s the design: It’s got a tiny metal tip, and the glue stick melts and goes past the tiny metal tip, which serves both to melt the glue and to spread it around. To cook heroin with it, you’d have to stick the tiny metal tip in the bottle cap or spoon full of heroin solution, and sit there and wait…and wait…and wait…and it never would get up to boiling. The glue gun just doesn’t get that hot.

And I can prove it: no Google hits at all for “glue gun heroin”. Junkies are not out there using glue guns to cook their smack, sorry. :smiley:

Well that’s a relief! Now I can take my glue gun on the airlines.

Well, maybe not.

A friend of mine is a rock collector and uses those teenie-weenie Ziplocks to separate teenie-weenie rock samples.

I too have many of those Ziplocks for craft items.

The person could have been a gamer. The baggies are used for holding small game pieces and the razor is for cutting cardboard bases which are glued to figurines with the glue gun.

My friend wanted to take hers to Boston to do crafts with her sisters at Christmastime and they wouldn’t let her on the plane with it. Even if, let’s say, she wanted to threaten to make people terminally sticky, there’s no place to plug it in! Pretty hard to “pistol whip” someone with a $2.99 plastic glue gun, too.

Razors aren’t used usually with crack. Razors are more commonly used with coke, but there would need to be a mirror. The tiny bags certainly wouldn’t be used for pot, and most crack dealers use alternate means of containing their wares. Expensive baggies aren’t cost effective. Hot glue is almost strictly for crafting type activities, affixing things and such. No drug usage here, or at least no drug preparation here.