Is there any time or place in the history of mankind that wild pigs have been caught like this?

Just curious. Here is a piece is fairly typical “fear your government” gargling, but it has the unique aspect of including some hunting lore. Has a group of wild pigs ever been caught in this fashion in any place or time in human history?

To Catch a Wild Pig - A Parable About Society That Offers Valuable Lessons for Leaders

Sure sounds a heck of a lot more complicated and time consuming than hunting or trapping by more conventional means.

Plus, I’m no hog expert, but do they typically move in herds?

I’d be shocked if that were true. Wild pigs were hunted widely in Europe until they were mostly depopulated (they’ve significantly repopulated in the 20th century.) I’m not an expert on pre-Industrial boar hunting but I’ve read a lot of period works and descriptions of boar hunting typically involve spears and a lot of men, not baiting and fencing.

The part about laying the corn out on a regular basis is classic “baiting.” You create a steady food source for animals over a period of time, and eventually you go to cash in by waiting around the food source for the animals (now accustomed to coming there to eat) and killing them. Aside from some limited forms it’s essentially prevented in most American states I’m aware of as it isn’t seen as appropriate behavior for a modern hunter. For people who actually hunted because they needed to, sure they’d bait boars or anything else and I don’t doubt boars have been baited with corn at some point in time.

My grandparents had lots of pigs, not wild pigs, but still pigs. They were kept fenced mostly because they were domesticated animals, but they are huge and extremely strong. The fencing my grandparents had could not contain the pigs if the pigs had wanted to escape, but again, being domesticated they didn’t much try. A wild pig being un-domesticated, I imagine would freak the hell out the moment you locked it in a pen for the first time (whether you built it around the pig or not) and tear the hell out of it and easily escape.

When I was a teenager one of my grandfathers cows broke through its fence and the entirety of the herd followed after it. He spent several weeks collecting them and several of his neighbors would help by calling anytime they’d spot one. While they make electric fences, aside from that big farm animals like pigs and cows really do have the strength to break through the fencing you normally see around them; they just do not do so. A wild animal won’t have the same reservations so I don’t see how this fence trick would work.

It seems terribly inefficient. So you trap the one group of pigs, but now you have a big, useless fence that you spent a long time and a lot of money building. Once you’ve sold this group of pigs, you would have to tear down the fence and start all over if you wanted any more.

Why waste your time putting corn out there every day when you can just drop a fully functional trap on the ground and put a little coon urine on it:

http://www.boarmasters.com/Trapping.html

Sounds like hogwash to me.

That sounds more like a way to begin to domesticate wild animals than to hunt or “catch” them. As a hunting method, it’s an inefficient use of time and resources.

It is reasonably close.

A common method for trapping wild pigs is to use a large gated pen enclosure with a trip wire for the gate at the far end. The idea is to catch as much of the group at one time as possible. This trap is usually baited with corn as it is cheap and the pigs like it.

Sometimes, the pen will initially be made without the gate so that more pigs will be accostumed to feeding in the enclosure before it is set. Otherwise, you may only capture one or two of the boldest pigs.

Yes, they forage in large groups (over a dozen) and live together in much larger herds. No, they do not accept their captivity. They are mean as hell and will try to bite, gore, or ram you through the fence if you get close.

I should note that for the methods listed above, the time is “currently” and the place is “Texas”.

It is also not about hunting so much, but eradication from developed areas. New Yorkers complain about rats the size of cats, but in Texas the “rats” are over 200 pounds! :smiley:

Kudos on the thorough multiparagraph answer linked to. I quoted that single sentence to make the wry observation that, given this story was in aid of anti-big-government politicall glurge, your comment picked up an amusing double entendre.

So when you’re done, you have caught a bunch of pigs, but they’re still out in the woods. Doesn’t sound like a very efficient method of animal husbandry.

I think you could just put up a fence and leave the gate open with a trail of corn going in. When they get used to it, just close the gate. Animals are trapped all the time using this method and a cage.

As others have noted, the process of trapping pigs is widespread, so it obviously isn’t *that *inefficient.

Can you explain why it is more inefficient to have twenty dead pigs out in the woods, than it is to hunt and kill a single pig in the same time, and thus have one dead pigs out in the woods? It seems obvious to me that trapping is twenty times *more *efficient.

But this method or trapping is depicted as taking many, many days.

First off, Skammer’s problem wasn’t with the time taken, but the fact that the pigs are out in the woods.

Secondly, if it takes 3 days to trap twenty pigs, you end up with twenty dead pigs out in the woods at the end of three days. If you spend three days hunting pigs, and you catch one pig in that time, which is quite normal, you end up with one dead pig out in thw woods at the end of three days. So how is trapping less efficient?

Thirdly, trapping has the advantage of removing the entire pig population from an area even though it takes many many days. This in contrast to shooting, where you kill a couple of pigs and the rest of the mob disperses

Fourthly, and this is the bit that I really don’t get: As others have noted, the process of trapping pigs is widespread. So how can you believe that it is inefficient? Do you think people do it because it is enjoyable?

Boars are rather nasty critters that really mess up the forest.
My family has a ‘farm’ in Mississippi (which is really a deer preserve) and some of them are REALLY huge.
Never heard about this method, but honestly we treat them like varmints to be killed and eaten.
We only deer hunt with bows, but boars… heck anything goes.
You can’t imagine how a herd of feral boars can ruin a beautiful field.
Taste great, so there is that.

Related story:

Hogs are notoriously hard to herd into a trailer for transport. Once they realize you are trying to herd them in a particular direction or into a particular place they resist and veer off.

My dad would use the hog’s own curiosity against it. He would leave the trailer in the barn yard, with a ramp leading up into it. The hog could not resist exploring this new place. My dad would just wait until the hog went into the trailer on its own, then would close the gate behind it.

Now, I’m sure the story in the OP is apocryphal. It’s a little too perfectly-constructed as a metaphor. On the other hand I don’t see any reason why it wouldn’t work. It sounds like an awfully slow and labor-intensive way to accomplish the task, tho.

“The path to a man’s heart is through his stomach.” This is how a lot of guys end up married too, maybe we should outlaw marriage.

Corral trapping is where you build a fenced in area, bait it, and close the gate when there are a bunch of animals in there. It’s really no different than a mouse trap or any other trap, just larger. It would be more likely that the trapper would put bait outside the gate then move it inside when the hogs get used to it than to build the fence during trapping, but there may be people who like to do it the hard way.

Wild hogs don’t just accept their captivity and forget how to be hogs. They will certainly bite the hand that feeds them, or ram a tusk through it. They are trapped and will continue to eat the food in front of them, but open the gate and they are wild hogs again. Domestication takes a lot of time and breeding.

If someone told me this story I’d tell them people train donkeys to turn right and left by saying “gee” and “haw.” The words mean nothing, but they’re what the jackass wants to hear.

Oh heck yeah. Wild boars/pigs are remarkably dangerous creatures.
You don’t sit them in a pen and expect them to wallow in the mud.
You kill them as quickly as needed.
They are also remarkably intelligent. They escape much better than, let’s say, goats or sheep.
<joke>If they had opposable digits, they would have long ago been in bitter conflict with us.</joke>

Is anyone saying that trapping pigs, in general is inefficient compared to hunting? Certainly not me.

However, the method of trapping pigs described in the OP (which, as I read it, we are supposed to understand as taking a lot longer than 3 days - all that “getting used to it” is supposed to be important) would be highly inefficient. (And I do not know why you get to help yourself to the assumption that you would get twenty at a time.)

Anyway, the whole thing is just a silly made up analogy supposed to show how the gubimint is evil and provides services only so it can take away your freedom™ (and then, I guess, eat you). It is not about pig hunting at all.