Is there any truth to this or is this just another masturbation myth?

Says here that mastubation can elevate symptoms of depression and anxiety because of those hormones that are released during sex are severely deficient.

Over-ejaculation associated with the over-burning of acetylcholine, serotonin and dopamine for an excessive production of the stress neurohormones norepinephrine and epinephrine (adrenalin) and the pituitary hormone prolactin, a deficiency of prostaglandin E-1 synthesis in the tissue, and an excessive production of prostaglandin E-2.
Your main problem is due to an over-burning of acetylcholine by over-ejaculation, a low 5-HTP and serotonin in your brain and nervous system to modulate (regulate) the dopamine-norepinephrine-epinephrine conversion in your rear brain and adrenal medulla, and a low DHEA and androstenedione in your bloodstream and cerebrospinal fluid in supporting the testosterone and DHT production upon orgasm or ejaculation after your adrenal and testicular function have been exhausted by over-ejaculation.
You end up with a severely deficiency of acetylcholine, dopamine, serotonin, melatonin and androgen hormones (DHEA/androsttenedione/testosterone/DHT) in the brain and nervous system and the cerebrospinal fluids and a deficiency of the liver enzymes in supporting the neurotransmitters and androgen hormones syntheses, but an excessive stress neurohormones norepinephrine and epinephrine and an excessive prolactin in your brain, cerebrospinal fluid, and bloodstream.

That website raises all my skeptical senses. I mean, mis-spellings, unprofessional look, bad links. All of their “links” seem to link back to themselves anyway. And at the end they are trying to sell a product, it seems?

I dunno if everything they said is true, it’s a bit ove rmy head, but I for one would not believe a word of this particular website.

Well, I’d rather masturbate than have sex with that website. It’s butt-ugly!

true the website does seem shady but the whole idea behind that ejaculating leads to certain chemicals in the brain being released and that over doing it creates a deficiency makes sense to me.

But exactly what is overdoing it? I don’t see where it gives you a ratio… Once per day?

To quote from Lewis Black: “I’ve learned one thing from life. If you masturbate 20 times a day, you’ll never get out the door.” :smiley:

I dont know how exactly you would measure the ratios because everyone is different. I dont think they can determine the levels of those hormones to as a treatment for depression

meant to say they would use that method as a treatment for depression

It doesn’t make sense. Why would masturbation, but not sex involving another person, have this effect?

Sounds to me more like yet another attempt to “prove” that masturbation is bad, and that it’s your own fault if you have a mental illness.

This guy is a crackpot with a medical dictionary. :dubious:

And here I thought my “main problem” was going to be hairy palms.

“It doesn’t make sense. Why would masturbation, but not sex involving another person, have this effect?” well the thing is people can masturbate 5-6 times but good luck finding a nympho to do it with you that much

This thread makes me very sad.

Sad sad sad sad sad.

ssssssssighhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Well, then, please, fight ignorance and give us an answer or some information. I don’t mind snarky or funny responses but this is just not helpful.

I would say that excessive masturbation probably is bad for you. Excessive anything is bad for you. What do they say? “Everything in moderation, including moderation.”

But who is to say what’s excessive? Yeah, 20 times a day probably is. I really don’t think once per day is. But I suppose it could be for someone.

Besides I will never ever wholly believe a website that tells me something about my health and then proceeds to sell me something. That’s the biggest loss of credibility right there. If they have personal gain in it, then I am :dubious:.

Perhaps, but if it is treatment for depression one seeks, there are more tried-and-true methods then giving up masturbation, because of something you read on the internet, no? Methods like talking to someone, exercise, meds, light therapy… all help millions of depressed people every year.
A qualified doctor or psychiatrist should be able to work out a diagnosis and a matching therapy for anyone who came to them with " symptoms of depression and anxiety" as you describe in the OP .

Unfortunately, many people have experienced bad therapy, or therapy that didn’t fit them, and as a result, have given up on mainstream psychotherapy and meds. Instead, they try to find their own “manual” and try out all sorts of things to see if those make them feel better. Like giving up on certain foods, or giving up on masturbation. While these can help to regain a sense of control over ones own life and body, there is a real danger that potetially healthy years are lost in ineffective self-doctoring.

That said, there are many other possible reasons causing someone to feel bad after masturbation. Ingrained taboos, feelings of guilt, loneliness… you name it. All of these feelings shouldn’t be associated with masturbation, but unfortunately they still often are.

So, if you experience symptoms of depression and anxiety, go see a doctor. That’s the best advice I can give you, and I’m a psychologist.

If you want to read more about hormones, how they influence moods, and how to influence them in turn, the book " Natural Prozac" deals with exactly those questions. As the reviews show, the book has helped some (but not all) people a great deal.

No problem. I just have to find a woman who is also masturbating 5-6 times in an unspecified amount of time. If I can find a manic depressive woman who is currently manic, she’ll have boundless energy and a high libido and getting a lot of sex will not be a problem.

The site won’t come up for me. But, I know it is crap. As others have said, claiming that masturbation rather than excessive (what ever that is) orgasms themselves is the problem is a massive red flag.

Re Testicular function

So despressed women can masturbate all they want?

Hey, misery loves company. Babe.

I don’t know about the chemical side of the equation. But there is a pretty pat answer from the psychological side. Basically, if masturbation is interfering with the rest of your life, if it makes your relationships suffer, and/or if you must do it but get little or no enjoyment from it, then you may have an addiction problem.

this is not a personal problem just somethign I came across from surfing on the internet and posted it here because I wanted to see if it was scientifically correct or a bunch of shit

The Animal, it would take a lot more than one website, me thinks, to define for you whether or not masturbation is bad. And I think that googling it would be difficult for obvious reasons. Why don’t you go to the website of the American Medical Association, or try perhaps the website of one of your local hospitals, or perhaps your local library?

tdn! Are you sure you should share that kind of stuff online?

:stuck_out_tongue:

Shorted out keyboard, having to clean your glasses, the tedious task of untying all those ropes and of course,

If you’ve just finished masturbating, you have to wait through the refractory period before you can masturbate again.

Anaamika

In all my years of treatment, no shrink (psychologist, psychiatrist, social worker) has ever mentioned masturbation as worsening depression. A few have recommended sex as being rather beneficial. I’ve never read excessive masturbation defined as anything other than ‘upsets the patient’ (I just can’t stop! Help!) or so frequent as to cause physical injury (patient has friction burns on his palm and penis. He continues to masturbate)

Again, manic patients are hypersexual. There is no valid reason to single out masturbation as counterindicated for depression.

From this page on the web site:

Or: how to build up your counter numbers without really trying!

But on this page he inadvertantly gives away the truth:

The site is a joke.