Is there (for you) such a thing as a "sound-track" of your life?

Or have you had certain songs or specific artists help or have changed the way you look at life in general?

I´ve heard this “sound-track” of my life statement a few times, and I was curious if anyone here can also talk about such an Album (or artist or song).

I´d argue that YES, there have been artists that have changed my life´s perspective.

Both Billy Joel (The Stranger and An Innocent Man) and Pink Floyd (Dark Side of the Moon and Wish You Were Here) have changed my life for the better. The combination of good lyrics and music have certainly helped voice emotions I could not put into words before.

There are also a bunch of other songs from Joel and The Floyd that have also helped shape my views.

So, dopers: Do you have a “sound-track” of your life? If not, do you have any artists or songs from artists that have changed your perspective (or have helped you through difficult times)?

So there I was, growing up in a suburban wonderbread factory, singing in the sunday choir. Our pastor was "edgy’’ and had us do the Carpenters Close to You. I could only put my foot down on the 1 and the 3. I had a little AM radio with a speaker the size of a silver dollar and one day Superstition came rolling out and things were never the same. I started putting my foot down on the 2 and the 4, and I realized the world was a bigger place than I’d been led to believe. I still get goose bumps when I hear that opening riff.

Thank you Stevie

Pearl Jam’s “In My Tree” is my very favorite song in the world. It speaks to my solitary side, the part of me that wants to go hide in a tree and be a kid again, to “get back my innocence”. Plus listening to it now can give me the most amazing sort of “sense memories” that give me an instant boost. I don’t really know what part of my life I’m remembering, but I just feel so happy.

Maybe “Peaceful Easy Feeling” by the Eagles, because I’m a easygoing dude.

Yes, my life has a sound track, but maybe not in the way that you mean…

It’s part of being a musician that one is always aware of the sound in the background, whether that means identifying the muzak, being aware of the soundscape of the surrounding environment or hearing the music inside your own head, whether from memory or from compositions flowing through your inner ear.

So right now, I can tell you that my wife and both kids are asleep, the G-drive is working and the de-humidifier is running in the basement. In my head right now, I hear a high pitched squeal like a high harmonic pedal point in the violins, and a driving percussive motif that is like a musical depiction of my current stress, and I’m consciously trying to slow it down and bring the pitch down so I can relax.

In day to day life, I’m constantly pegging whatever is playing in the background, and even if I never say anything to anyone I’m with, I’m usually hearing that music and it gets worked in with my memory of that moment. So, for instance, I can tell you what song was playing for various moments, even if it was only on my mental iPod, or conversely, what was going on the first time I heard a certain song. For instance the first time I heard the song “If I had $1,000,000” was the night my buddy Graham died, and all I could think of was how much he would have loved it. The day I married my wife was a day when I had some huge orchestral-choral thing going through my head, that was like sketches for a sequel to Beethoven’s 9th symphony. I could go on…

So I think what I’m talking about is more like the underscoring of a film than what you were after, but it’s what your OP made me think about.