Is there really a "Pink Tax"?

The so called “Pink Tax” is that women pay a higher amount for the same consumer products and services that men do. For example, a womens deodorant will cost more than a mens or womens hair shampoo costs more. Also everything from girls toys cost more than boys toys and adult womens clothing costs more than mens.

But is this so?

Here is a video that says its true: Pink Tax

Others are saying this isnt true and products for women cost more because they are different formulas, designs, or are designed differently.: Others even point out some products for men cost more like auto insurance.

There are numerous websites and videos discussing this.

What do you all think?

Is there some reason you think it’s not true? You linked to a video showing it happens. You can pretty easily go to a store (online or IRL) and compare razors or pens or other things and see it for yourself.
You can even go a google image search for ‘pink tax’ and find all kinds of comparisons. Here’s the first easy one I found at CVS.
Dulco Lax, in a blue box for $11.49
Dulco Lax, in a pink box for $11.99

They’re identical meds, identical counts, identical dosages. The only difference is that the blue one says it’s recommended by doctors and the pink one says it’s recommended by OB/GYNs.

Well there are 2 approaches when starting a thread.

1. You give a topic, give your opinion, and then let people argue on your points.
  2. You put out the topic and just look for opinions before weighing in yours.

For this I chose #2.

Lots of barber shops charge more for “women’s cut” even if they’re getting the same cut as men. It’s just a different price for women.

You’ve provided a cite that says it’s true and a non-cite (“others are saying it’s not true”) that it isn’t. I think you’ve answered your own question.

Auto insurance for men costs more because they get into more accidents. Dulcolax cost more for women because…?

Here’s another cite that it exists: The Pink Tax: How Women Pay More for Pink | Bankrate

There’s an interesting example of men and women bringing essentially the same shirt in to the cleaners and women being charged up to three times more.

Here’s a Daily Fail article that claims that Gillette charges women more than men for the same razer:

I can’t vouch for that one.

Right, but this is like me starting a thread, “Is there such a thing as New Jersey?” and offering on the one hand some maps and photos of New Jersey, and on the other hand “others are saying New Jersey doesn’t exist.”

If you’ve got evidence that makes your question more interesting than “Does New Jersey exist?” it’d be helpful to offer that in the OP.

Exactly. The government forces women to pay more for the same razor with a special Pink Tax, an extra sales tax that is added to the price of the razor. That’s how it works, right?

Well I do know for haircuts with women its a combination of more complicated haircuts (ex. longer hair, colored hair, braids) and they also want more services like shampoos. Womens hair salons in general use more chemicals than mens barbershops.

And hair products, men are often just fine using an all in one shampoo/conditioner/body wash/dish soap while women have all these fancy shampoos and conditioners.

I don’t think it’s a big deal if there is an essentially equal product that women can buy. For things which there is often not a good alternative, such as clothes and haircuts, part of the charge is probably due to a demand for quality which is more flexible for the average man*. Similarly to safe men getting charged more to make up for dangerous men on insurance, women who aren’t picky are charged more even if they just want something utilitarian.

*Hair-wise, it’s starting to even out but moving a little downward on the body, with all the boutique facial hairstyling places popping up lately.

Well for razors I read a womens razor has the blades at a different angle because women dont want to cut or knick their legs while mens razors are more aggressive because men dont care as much about a little cut now and then. Also it evens out because men shave nearly everyday while women often only shave during the summer.

The blue box is “liquid gels” and the pink box is “soft gels”—is there a difference?

I also couldn’t help noticing from your link that the CVS store brand of the same medication is less than half the price. Looks to me like the “tax” on people who choose the name brand is way bigger than the tax on people who choose the pink box.

Lol! This is freaking classic. The OP cites the things he doesn’t think are true, thus, proving them true.

And then provides no sites to the things he thinks ARE true.

This isnt some college research paper. Its a discussion board. If you have something to add, add it. Then be willing to let people discuss it.

So, what do you want to add?

Right! It’s not a tax imposed by the government, it’s analogous to a tax. Thanks for clearing that up! Very helpful to the conversation. Here, this may help: Analogy - Wikipedia

The barbershops I frequent just specify one price for women and one for men, regardless of cut. That’s my personal cite, so take it for what it’s worth. If you have a cite for the opposite, I’m all eyes.

The article I posted said they were the same razors. If you have an opposing cite, I’m all eyes.

So far, you’ve brought a cite that there really is a pink tax and hand-waved further examples (with cites) with made-up explanations that there isn’t.

I’ve added multiple examples with cites. You’ve added nothing but hand-waving.

Difference between mens and womens razors

Say what now? My gf shaves every day of the year. I clean-up around my beard every 5-7 days.

That article says nothing about why women’s blades are more expensive. My razors have lubrication, too. Perhaps you can explain why the angle of the blade would make it cost more. The difference in the shape of the handle, of course, is irrelevant to the cost of the blade.

Women I know shave all year. They may not shave every day (except for kayaker’s GF), but they shave a much larger area, so, as you say, it evens out.

On haircuts, I only know I go to a generic place that has just flat prices for say cut, wash and cut, cut with coloring, perms, etc… I only need a basic cut so its about $15. However the clientele is mostly men.

My wife OTOH, goes to a fancy ladies salon where she gets all these other things done and its usually around $50.

Right, and the place I go to has a price for men and a price for women.

Do you think less or more blade angles cost more? 23 degrees are more expensive than 21 degrees? Or pink costs more than blue? The only thing your “cite” says is that there are differences in the razors, not that one costs more to make.