Is this a legitimate cure for HIV/AIDS?

Sep 27, 2013.

Nothing is a cure until it’s gone through a long process of testing including multiple human trials.

Far too much works in the lab but doesn’t work in the body.

We can only hope

Another thread on the topic just came up in MPSIMS. To quote myself:

It’s really, really easy to eradicate HIV from cultured cells. Bleach will do it, as will a variety of alcohols. Or high temperatures, or UV or other forms of radiation. Let me know when they can eradicate it in a living organism, without killing the organism.

Given that “Healthy cells not infected with HIV were not affected”, I’d say comparing this to “treatments” of the “kill everything” variety is not terribly apt.

However, “The study also found Deferiprone, a systemic drug used to remove excess iron from the body in people who have beta-thalassaemia major, has the same effect.”
Since Deferiprone is known to be safe in humans, they’re going right ahead with human trials.

There are number of new HIV vaccines that show good results in the lab , much better than old vaccine that did not work.But again new vaccine showing good results in lab may not work in real world.

I’m sure other members here that know more about this can say more.

This isn’t a vaccine. Vaccines are the medicine of choice against most viral diseases, but they don’t work too well against HIV, and even if they did, that doesn’t help people who already have AIDS, so they try to find other options too.

It’s promising but has a long way to go to be a “legitimate cure”. Just like dozens of candidates before now.

This is quite true, not just for HIV, but for literally every single infection we’re working on, so it’s probably safe to consider it as read in any discussion of infectious diseases.

The articles I read said number of vaccines showing good results in the lab.But this may not do so well in testing phase.

I’m sure there are some members here that read more on this and know lot more on this and can elaborate.

Chronos’s examples may not have been well chosen, but his underlying point remains good. There is a world of difference between something that works in a cell culture and something that will work at all, let alone work safely, in a living human being. There are probably already hundreds if not thousands of substances that act like this and that have already been investigated, fruitlessly. These findings may (perhaps) be worth following up on, but don’t be holding your breath.

Anybody count the number of “cures” for “cancer”?

Tens of thousands worked just fine in petri dishes…

On certain kinds of cells…

There is lot more progress in AIDS research now than the 90’s and breakthroughs now than the 90’s.So I would not be surprised in 5 years from now some thing comes out.

Those large numbers have other implications, though. On the one hand, the fact that so many people are trying so many things with so much funding means that I wouldn’t be surprised to see a very good medicine (a cure, or a preventive, or a good, effective treatment) emerge in the next 5-10 years. On the other hand, also because of so much work being done, I’d be surprised if this particular promising lead ends up panning out: There are many promising leads, and most of them don’t.

Has anyone read any of these articles on cure or vaccine?

I’m surprised more members here have not read up on these new cures or vaccine showing good results in the lab.

Plenty of things look good in the lab. I get notices about them when they advance to human trials, and when they fail in human trials.

Wouldn’t the problem be delivering the drug? If I remember correnctly, HIV can hide out in very difficult-to-reach places that just aren’t easy to deliver drugs to.

It working good with animal testing.Next is to test it on people.

How do you know that other Dopers haven’t kept up? We’ve even got some medical people here.

If so, they probably thought “Good, that looks interesting. Let’s see how the studies turn out.” But they thought starting a thread announcing a cure was a bit premature.

(However, there’s nothing wrong with starting a thread to ask a question.)