Is this a sound weight loss strategy

I’m trying to lose some weight. I’m doing this by trying to increase my exercise and decreasing how much I eat (pretty simple). Mostly I’m trying to eliminate any between meals snacking.

During the day, though, I get really hungry between meals. When I do, I eat a piece of fruit. I pretty much let myself eat as much fruit as I want until I’m full. Can I expect to lose weight this way? Lately, I’ve been eating a lot of fruit, 3 bannanas, 2 oranges, 3 peaches a day. Is it okay to eat as much fruit as I want, or am I still going to be packing on the calories?

Fruit, as far as major stuff goes is just sugar, water and fiber. I’d recommend going for non-starchy vegetables instead. “3 bannanas, 2 oranges, 3 peaches a day” depending on their size can easily be over 1000 calories. Which is kind like eating a hefty bag of cheetos, but with more fiber and vitamins.

The peaches and oranges aren’t too bad, but bananas have a lot of calories (100 or so).

The biggest problem with eating that much fruit is that you risk spiking your blood sugar levels. In general you want to keep those as even as possible through out the day. The best snack food would be vegetables, or a small amount of nuts.

Thanks for the replies. The two banannas and a peach are usually my breakfast. So that is a meal, not a snack. I thought nuts were really high in fat?

I’ve had great luck losing weight by increasing the amount of between-meal snacking – proper foods only. Thermic effect of feeding. A small amount of exercise (running just 10 mi/w, body-weight exercises [push-ups, plank, bench dips, pull-ups], and resistance work [bench press, various dumbbell presses, various curls]) and the classic “small meals 6x/day” helped me lose a good portion of the 60 lbs I gained while working on my doctorate.

Madmonk, come join us over here

Fruit will only satisfy your hunger for a short time. You need protein to ‘feel’ full and get you from one meal to the next. Rather than a piece of fruit, you’d be better off opening a small can (or package) of tuna.

90% of the calories in nuts are from fat, but one or two nut snacks a day is okay. 1/4 cup of nutmeats is about 200 calories. I eat walnuts because they do have some omega-3 oils.

In general, snacking on vegetables rather than fruits would be a better choice for losing weight. Most fruits have more sugar (and calories) than most vegetables. Raw carrots, celery, broccoli, etc. are good snacks. But only if they work to satisify you, and hold you until your next mealtime.

P.S. Even though chocolate is made from a bean, and thus a vegetable, it’s not a good choice for your between meal snack to lose weight!

Thanks all. Because of where I live (Baghdad) I have very limited snacking options. There is some nice fruit in the market right now, but very little in the way of veggies, pretty much tomatoes and cucumbers, which get old pretty quick.

I don’t have a scale here and that is actually fine with me. I don’t want to focus on a target number, but rather just getting in better shape. We’re pretty much prisoners in our compound so I don’t get much just walking around exercise. I play ping pong for about an hour a day and ride a stationary bike for half an hour.

One thing I’m trying to do is eliminate a lot of the calories through drink. No sodas, limited juices, more water.

I’ve been taking a spoonful of peanut butter as a snack, maybe 2-3 throughout the day. Is that really bad? I noticed it just hits the spot in a way nothing else I’m snacking on does.

The peanut butter isn’t so bad if you can hold yourself to a spoonful at a time. If memory serves, 2 tablespoons encroaches on 200 Calories, depending on your brand. Unbuttered peanuts would probably be better if you can get them. You can eat a whole ounce of normal peanuts for fewer calories than the two measly tablespoons of peanut butter.

The cucumbers may get annoying, but they’d be an effective snack. Try seeing what spices you can add to them to make them more interesting. Or, just choke them down until you’ve got the body you want.

[Slight And Probably Redundant Nitpick] Cocoa beans are only ‘beans’ in in the colloquial sense (as indeed also are coffee and vanilla ‘beans’) - in that they superficially resemble beans.
True beans are all members of leguminosae, which the above-named plants are not. [/SAPRN]

When I was trying (and succeeding) to lose a little weight, tomatoes and cucumbers were two of the very things that helped keep me off the high-calorie snacks (which incidentally included the odd spoonful of peanut butter, oh, just another one…).
Anyway, I found that quartered ripe tomatoes and/or chunks of cucumber sprinkled liberally with fresh ground black pepper, or just a dash of hot chilli did the trick for me.

One thing you might try is to have a large glass of water before gorging on fruit (or nuts, veggies, peanut butter, etc.) - you can still eat until your stomach “feels” full, but because you started off with a bunch of zero-calorie filler (H2O), you’ll get that full feeling without so many calories. Or pace yourself - have a small snack, then wait 1/2 hour until having the next - by that time, maybe you’ll no longer have that hungry feeling (or maybe you’ll have forgotten). Good luck.

Not much to add except to agree with the others that suggested higher protein/vegatable snacks vs fruits. The sugars will ultimately spike your blood sugar resulting in you being hungry again sooner.

In my diet I have found that once I removed a good portion of my sugar intake and replaced it with higher density foods that are slower to digest, I am not as hungry. Now when I am hungry, it is also a sort of low mumble versus the roaring “FEED ME NOW!” I used to experience when my blood sugar was out of whack.

Chopped cukes with a yogurt dressing sounds good!

I will speak up in favor of fruit. Check out the USDA food pyramid in terms of how much fruit and veggies you should be eating. Especially if you are not eating a lot of veggies, there is probably room for more fruit in your balanced diet. Whole fruit, unlike fruit juice, contains fiber and IME is fairly satisfying. With the food pyramid, pay attention to what they mean by a serving, sometimes it is less than you’d expect.

Maybe some people get more of a blood sugar spike/plunge from fruit than I do. YMMV. But I will only stick to snacking on veggies for so long. Yes, veggies are a great choice, but will you resort to high-calorie dip to choke them down after a while? Will they drive you to Cheetos? An apple for midmorning snack, some grapes and a few nuts for midafternoon snack, a couple plums for dessert, sounds like it would work well.

Another big help is to make the grains you eat whole grains. Quite a bit more filling.

I started working out again about 1.5-2 years ago. I wanted to build more muscle, so I tried to increase my protein intake to around 35-40% of my daily calories. Real peanut butter would have been nice, but it’s hard to find here, so I had to be pretty sparing with the partially hydrogenated Skippy-type stuff. I tried snacking on beef jerky or pieces of cold chicken breast that I’d prepared earlier along with some fruits and vegetables. Luckily, I love plain celery and carrots; also great with a little miso for flavor.

I went back to the eating patterns I had when I was doing sports in school: eating lots of small meals throughout the day, up to 6 times or so. I was rarely very hungry for my last meal, which ended up being a bit later in the evening and smaller than normal because I’d usually snacked at what would have been my usual dinner time. I’d eat right after my workout. If you’re going to have a high-sugar snack, that’s the time to do it, by the way. Works as a reward and as a way to get some carbs back in your system at a time when your body craves it, and therefore will be using it immediately rather than storing it.

My total calories remained about the same, but because I’d increased protein, cut my fat slightly (about 5% or so, I estimate) and never had a blood sugar drop or actually got very hungry, I lost weight. Weight lifting helped a lot. I started light to get myself ready for heavy lifting. When I eventually started on serious training with heavier weights and lower reps I dropped weight dramatically. More muscle mass used up a lot of calories. I actually eat more now than I did when I was overweight.