Is this an authentic hobbit hole?--More on the LoTR debate

Yo, my contribution to the LoTR debate:

http://www.aint-it-cool-news.com/images/lotr-hobbit-hole.jpg

It was included in this link (with pertinent news about the LoTR movie):
http://www.aint-it-cool-news.com/display.cgi?id=4543

Hope these UBB codes work.

DHR

Well, except for looking like something from Davey and Goliath, I guess that’s generally acceptable.

Looks like the Teletubbies’ summer home.

Hello Po! Hello Frodo!

“The world ends when I die. And as far as I’m concerned, the rest of the universe might as well call it a day too.” – Matt Groening

The Hobbit, J.R.R. Tolkein, 1937, first page of text in Chapter 1, An Unexpected Party.

You would think they could at least get the simple things right… < sighing >

… and what’s with the telephone poles and cable lines? (See upper left of photo.)

Well, CK, when the palantir network is down, you need a wired backup system. ; :slight_smile:

DSY said:

It is admittedly been a while since I have picked up one of my various copies of the hobbit, but without the context of this description, I can easily see how this could be a specific description of (Bilbo’s?) hobbit hole, and not a housing plan for all the hobbit holes. This then would allow for various placements of windows for others.

I find the picture to look a lot like how I would have pictured a hobbit hole. Compared to some of the other liberties they will surely have to take in recreating Middle Earth, this seems to be a fairly small one.

If nothing else, this proves one thing: GD’ers can argue about ANYTHING. :slight_smile:

I will have to re-read the hobbit, but the picture seems OK to me. I thought that the wooden posts on the upper left were a fence.

DSYoungEsq, I’m not sure your objection applies, because we don’t know if the picture is supposed to represent Bilbo Baggins’ home.

J’ai assez vécu pour voir que différence engendre haine.
Henri B. Stendhal

Thanks Doghouse. I haven’t been there in a while.

I like the picture, but I do hope it’s not Bag End. (In the link, Harry did say he didn’t know what it was supposed to depict.)

-andros-

“Listen Children Eternal Father Eternally One!” Exceptions? None!
-Doc Bronner