Is this t-shirt really going to protect you from getting slashed & stabbed?

The concept is interesting, but I really don’t see how those plastic fibers are going to keep a sharp knife from penetrating that shirt.

Sure, it certainly could:

I’m assuming the fibers are made of UHMWPE

UHMWPE is extremely tough. On a basic level what this will do is that any local load applied (say, by a knife thrust) is very effectively transferred to the polymer backbone of a given thread

The weave pattern will also help in distributing forces effectively

UHMWPE already has ballistic uses so it’s not a stretch to weave it into a shirt that can prevent penetration from a human-wielded steel blade.

I dunno about slashed or stabbed… but what about groping? Cause, yum.

Or prodding - what about prodding?

So it would work better than this?

What if you wore both?

I first saw that some weeks ago. It will protect against a slash, but a penetrating weapon is coming right through that thing. This site has an edit at the bottom noting that the shirt is slash proof and not stab proof, contrary to the original report.

Well, not in the face (or arms.)

Well, a shirt with a weave like that will certainly be better against a slash than a stab. A stab can find a gap in the weave and then it will certainly cause harm.

Perhaps they should market it as “Slash-proof, stab resistant!”

“Fear is the mind killer.” just popped into my head for some reason. What’s that line from?

Dune.

Will that T-shirt protect against fear, the mind killer?

No, nothing will protect against fear.

Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.

Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Haight leads to Ashbury. Once upon Ashbury, forever will it dominate your destiny.