Is too much of a good thing ALWAYS a bad thing?

In other words, is there anything that you can do as much as you want of without adverse consequences?

On the other hand, is there anything with adverse side-effects that suddenly becomes positive if you do a disproportionate amount of it?

Depends on how you do it, I suppose. Is this assuming that you don’t let your activity get in the way of a responsible life? How about reading books? I can’t think of anything bad about reading too many books…

That’s a good point, when I was thinking about the question I was thinking more along the lines of things that you would eat or drink; I guess things that would interact directly with your body on a physical level? I don’t know if I’m really explaining this adequately.

By the very statement of “too much” means that there are consequences of this state of affairs.

There’s no such thing as too much good health.

I believe it was Blake who said “The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom”

What SunTzu2U said; ‘too much’ is definitively a quantity that is excessive or detrimental; as illustrated here

I would say yes, since by definition, if it’s not causing a problem, it’s not “too much”.

Your rephrased version is a more interesting question. I would guess that since on a merely physical level we need a variety of nutrients and stimulations to stay healthy, the answer would be no, there isn’t any activity that you can do to the exclusion of everything else without harmful effects.

Although looking at your question (is there anything that you can do as much as you want of without adverse consequences?) literally, I might say yes, since there are activities which, by the time they started to become harmful, I would stop wanting to do them.

Patient: I suppose next you’re going to tell me that cholesterol isn’t bad for you.

Doctor: Do you even know what cholesterol is? You’d die without it.

Patient: Ah, but too much isn’t good for you.

Doctor: Of course it isn’t. That’s precisely what “too much” means.

(Fry and Laurie)

I heart Blake, one of his other Proverbs: “Enough, too much!”.

one word:

chafing