Is well controlled hypertension a problem or not?

“High blood pressure” is often listed as a predisposing factor for various ailments. If a person was diagnosed with high blood pressure many years ago, and started a medication program and stayed on it such that blood pressure was very well within proper limits, do they have this predisposing factor or not?

Said another way, what’s the problem – is it literally having the blood pressure be high all the time, or is it having whatever underlying causes would have elevated the blood pressure if the medication weren’t taken?

I heard today that medicating the blood pressure and successfully keeping it low largely does not fix the harmful effect it has that can bring on heart attacks, strokes, and so forth. Is that right? What’s the mechanism for the harmful effect, if it’s unrelated to the literal blood pressure itself?

There is seldom only one underlying condition that can simply be fixed and end high blood pressure. Strokes and heart attacks can be caused in multiple ways. Eating right and getting exercise and losing weight and all that good stuff can help the body to be healthier, but not everybody can become a fitness model and sometimes other ailments get in the way. I have leg problems that limit me in various ways, e.g.

I’ve been on beta blockers and calcium channel blockers since my stroke in 2005, along with blood thinners and cholesterol lowerers. The “cocktail” (idiotic term) of medication has been very successful. I haven’t had any danger signs in 13 years. My doctor would like me to lose weight, but I haven’t put any on for many years either. I think I’m stabilized and it can only be the drugs that are keeping me that way.

Anecdotal, to be sure, but I’ve read read a lot on the subject over time and I don’t see any reason that this isn’t the right course for me, nor do I think I’m some special case.

Everyone worries about heart attacks or stroke due to high BP but the concern, the blood numbers that my doctor watches, are related to kidney function.