Is Your Car Older than Mine?

I drive my old car to work every day. I love it, even with it’s dings and dents, no air and on hot days I have to drive with the heat on. I wouldn’t trade it for the world. It’s Springtime yellow and was built in 1967, it’s a Ford and even though parts are kind of hard to find I really love my Mustang. :cool: :smiley:

Until last year I drove an '81 Rabbit, but I got fed up with starting the diesel in Saskatchewan winters, so I upgraded to an '87 Camry.

Aw, come on. Pulling the extension cord out to the curb on sub-zero mornings was part of my Rabbit’s charm. :stuck_out_tongue:

I still have the first car I ever bought with my own hard-earned money:

1968 Volkswagen Beetle

Saskatoon’s a good deal colder than Ohio. The problem wasn’t starting in the morning. If the block heater was plugged in overnight, I could (and on occasion did) start at temperatures as low as -48C. No, the problem was going anywhere I wouldn’t be able to plug back in. Once it got below -15C to -20C, I couldn’t park for more than about an hour without being plugged in and still be able to start it back up. This puts a pretty significant crimp on things. Want to go out to a restaurant or bar? Sorry, limited to places within walking distance of heated underground parking. And there really aren’t very many lots like that in this city. Even visiting friends or family was a pain in the ass.

I do really miss that car when I pull up to the pumps, though.

Join the club… my parents have a '67 Mustang that serves as a daily driver, and a '66 Corvair that serves as an occasional driver.

(As a side note: stuff the biggest baddest radiator, biggest baddest fan, and a cowl for the fan into the 'Stang and watch the overheating become a memory. Worked for us, even in stop-and-go 90-100 degree heat. And as an added bonus, you can blow all the leaves off of the driveway by slowly driving over it!)

My car definately isn’t the oldest, as it is a mere 10 years old.

<< Sith happens. >>

I drive a 1984 Ford250 extended cab diesel pickup. The body is slowly falling apart, but that diesel engine just keeps on chugging. I picked it up 8 years ago for $2500. After almost 200,000 clicks, I still have two of the original Michelin tires.

I need a big truck for my business, and I’m loath to fork out $60,000 for a new diesel truck and all the problems associated with maintaining all these extraneous systems that the new vehicles have.

'99 BMW, with about 95K miles and a half year left on the warranty. It’s been a great car, and it’s paid for, but I’ll probably get all I can out of the warranty this fall and roll it over into a 2003 version of the same model late this year or early next year.

This one was purchased used, and only about a third of the miles are my own.

i drive a 1983 holden commodore. my first car, a year younger than me and its a great car. bought it with 55000kms on it as some old guy owned it and didnt drive it a lot :stuck_out_tongue: but im planning on upgrading to a 96-97 holden commodore. i figure its best to give a car about 5-6 years of consumer road testing before you decide to purchase that model anyway. good way to know if youre going to have problems or not.

We have a '92 Saturn compact and a '93 Ford Aerostar van. They are the newest cars we’ve ever had and we plan to drive them for quite some time. We love not having car payments!

The Ford has been giving us trouble lately, and when it went in to have the thermostat replaced, the guy told me “well, it’s getting old.” What do you mean, getting old?! No, it’s not, it’s practically new! It has air conditioning and a stereo (with a CD player)–that’s new to me.

When we got married in '96, we bought an old '78 Volvo station wagon off of my parents for the cost of repairs to make it run. First car for both of us. Heh, what a great car–until the brakes went bad, anyway…

We’re not “solidly working class,” as DangerDad is a software engineer–but we’re cheap, not interested in cars, and we both grew up without a lot of money.

I’m so jealous of you. I love BMWs. I want a BMW. Pereferably a nice little sporty number. A BMW motorcycle would be nice, too. :slight_smile:

We own a '72 Corvette Stingray and drive it daily, but currently it is being repainted.

We inherited earlier this year from a relative a '67 VW Bug. It runs great, just too hot to drive during the day with no A/C here in muggy Florida.

We also drive daily our '88 Jeep Wagoneer (aka The Woody) which only gets 7 or 8 miles to the gallon. This car never leaves the town we live in or else we’d have to take out a loan from the bank to get there.

We also have a '04 Volvo. That is our least used vehicle.

We need to get rid of one of our cars (most likely the Woody) because 4 cars are just too many. Also I’d never own such old cars if the Hubby wasn’t so good at fixing them.

People have already got me beat, but I drive a 1991 Dodge Shadow America. I love that the “America” tag stands for “bargain basement model” but they try to make it sound special. 3 speed automatic that’s extremely sluggish (if I’m trying to accelerate quickly to get onto a freeway, it often won’t shift into 3rd until I reach 50-55mph :eek: ). It’s a decent enough car and at least it was designed to be easy to fix; basically everything is “right there” (changing the oil is a breeze).

I’d gnaw my arm to have a manual tranny in there, though, and I’ve only driven manual once in my life (though I want to change that as soon as I can). And it’s slowly starting to fall apart. Did I mention that?

I think you’d love the Shadow in the manual version, zweisamkeit. That’s what I have, and it’s one peppy car.

My husband has a 1960 Buick LeSabre that used to be his daily driver until the gas prices started getting really high last year. Now it only gets driven occasionally. He also had a 1982 BMW 633 csi coupe but he traded it in for his new Tacoma.
The oldest car I’ve ever had was a 1984 Mazda GLC sedan, but I haven’t had that in years.

I’m counting down the miles until my car hits 200k. I believe it’s at 196,800 or so right now. It’s a 91 Corolla, and now down to one door that can be opened from the inside without rolling down the windows to reach the outside handle. (I just can’t justify fixing door handles on a car that old…)