Ish, ian etc. New Zealand has no "way"

Oh yeah, smartypantses? What do you call a person from Botswana?

One of them is a Motswana, more than one are Batswana.

So there.

Antipode A’la Mode?

:round of applause:

:smiley:

Beets and Beetroot on Hamburgers? Let’s just Burger King about the “New Zealand ‘way’”

Shagging sheep is the New Zealand way

You are American, he is British, I am a New Zealander.

Bastard!

That was very good. :slight_smile:

Beetroot is very yummy on burgers! Now give me my way!

What does my sex life have to do with any of this?

Just thought of another question this could tie into, inspired by this thread: what is the adjectival prefix for New Zealand. We have Franco-, Italo-, Sino-, Russo-… What would it be for a New Zealander? “Kiwo-”?

Pardon my saying so, calm kiwi, having a way is overrated. In fact it’s way overrated. When I was a kid, watching Superman on our steam-powered television, the announcer said Superman fought for “truth, justice, and the American way.” I felt proud of that, and darn grateful for Superman’s efforts. Later on, though, I became less sure of just what the American Way was. It seemed like every time I heard the phrase, it was to suggest that some other guy was against it.

On the other hand, I really enjoy hearing Dave Frischberg singing about the Hopi Way.

Well having a “way” is usually associated with being good at something, or proactive about something, or having an especially confident and competent way of handling particular situations.

What’s a situation, problem or challenge in which someone might say “Man we really need to call New Zealander in on this one!”

How about making Lord of the Rings movies? :smiley:

Way? Who cares about a little ol’ way? Let’s go for the whole road, eh? :slight_smile:

I’ve got no problems with “The New Zealand Way”. Trouble is, if one guy proclaims something as the New Zealand Way, ten others demand to know if that’s been properly published in the Gazette, five more represent government departments sharing the “way” portfolio, and start up an inquiry into whether proper procedures have been followed, someone considers organising a hui on the issue (the march to which jams up the Auckland Harbour Bridge), and the media get confused, with Paul Holmes devoting an entire programme at 7pm to the “New Zealand Whey, and Its Effects of Dairy Production in the New Millenium.”

Maybe just stick to “Believe it or not, we know what we’re doing. Eventually.” :slight_smile:

Bravo Icey! All you needed was a Listener cover, a Herald excusive and an Inside NZ doco Wayism: The Hidden Cost. :smiley:

I know this is disapproved of here, but I have to do it…LMAO Ice. That was brilliant!

Is a way worth a hikoi though? I love a good hikoi (I always wanted to walk over the bridge :smiley: )

Ah…so… “The Muddle Way” now all you need is a Kiwi Koan.

Calm Kiwi–

When New Zealanders refer to themselves as “Kiwis” is that a reference to the fruit or to the bird? Aren’t both from NZ? Why does it feel to me (I’m an American)like a slur to call someone a Kiwi?

Also, what’s wrong with your flag? Is it the historical inclusion of the Union Jack? In any event, it beats heck out of, say, the Libyan flag.

Lastly in one of your posts you said “LMAO Ice, that was brilliant” and added that it wasn’t approved of here. Which part specifically? The LMAO? By whom is it not approved and why, if you know?

Yep. The national consciousness evidently likes defining itself in terms of little brown furry things. (oh, tell me with a straight face that kiwi feathers don’t look like fur)

Decades of overbearing cultural stifling and “political correctness”? General libero-intellectual cultural paranoia?

If I may be so rude as to answer your questions in Calm Kiwi’s place.

Kiwis are so named after the bird. The fruit is also named after the bird. It was earlier, and no doubt still is to some people, known as the Chinese Gooseberry.

It is not a slur at all. I am not sure why you feel that it might be. Mathocist is probably close on that one.

Personally I don’t have a problem with our flag. I think some people would rather have something further removed from Old Mother England. Some people would also like one that doesn’t look so similar to the Australian flag (we should get the Aussies to change theirs!).

I think Calm Kiwi is probably sensitive to some people’s general dislike of net-speak. It’s not really as frowned upon as he/she seems to think though.