Ish, ian etc. New Zealand has no "way"

h <-- Ah, found it!

How about “Almost-Aussie Way”?

That one’s going to start a war, isn’t it?

Nah. We all know that an Aussie is really a Kiwi in training.

Now, that might start a war. :smiley:

I interpreted Calm Kiwi’s post as saying that “that’s funny” or “yeah, me too” posts (not adding anything at all to the discussion) are frowned upon in this forum. Whether that’s true or not, or whether that’s what Kiwi meant, I don’t know.

Oh sorry for confusing the situation. I was apologising for the “LMAO” I thought that kind of net talk was not really desired here, but the moment called for it.
hyjyljyj you seem to have got your answers but I will answer again. Kiwis are people or birds, the fruit are kiwifruit. Just like grapes and grapefruit are not the same thing neither are Kiwis and kiwifruit.

Kiwi is never a slur. It is generaly the first thing most of us call ourselves, saving New Zealander for more formal use. Just don’t call us kiwifruit :smiley:

Many people want to change the flag (or talk about it anyway). Often the reason cited is the Union Jack thing but if most of us are honest it’s more likely to be so it doesn’t look like that one from over the ditch. The two can be confused. An often talked about replacment is a plain black flag with a large silver fern. This is the flag you will often see Kiwis waving at sports events. It doesn’t look the teeniest bit Aussie :).

Unless, of course, we see you coming out of one of those bars.

According to my information, the kiwi* (Apteryx australis), a ratite, eats worms and bugs that it forages for at night using its unusually acute sense of smell. It is the only bird that has its nostrils at the tip of its bill. Real carnavores, these, not veggies!

• The bird, not the New Zealander, who is a Kiwi, not a kiwi.

Snakespirit that was a joke…and old joke. A Kiwi (person), eats, roots (shags) and leaves (goes away).

Supposed to be: Eats roots, shoots, and leaves. I’m sure you can figure out the extra action :).

:o

Oh my.

I’d be ROTFL if I wasn’t so embarassed! Thanks for setting me up.

:smiley:

That old joke lends us nocturnal ratites a sence of racy Antipodean coolness. I like! :slight_smile:

'Course, it’ll make the Aussies jealous … :wink:

There’s only one of them on this board, isn’t there? :smiley:

And I think the black thing with a silver fern will experience the New Zealand Way™. Referred to a select committee and die under a table somewhere. Besides which, it would most often be done as a white fern, and they look a lot like a white feather, and we know what that represents, don’t we?

KF

The NZ Air Force used to have a silver fern as their insignia (it is now a kiwi). It was quickly changed due to the white feather connotations.

Ooooops sorry Kiwi Fruit.

Is this better? Call that one Kiwi Fruit, the rest of us Kiwis and and the lil round fuzzy fruit kiwifruit? :slight_smile:

I still think the silver fern is the most easily recognised symbol of NZ other then the Kiwi (not fruit :wink: ) and would make a bloody good flag.

Someone/something from Barbados is BAJAN.

I am left to wonder why the Kiwi left that part out…

The Aussie version of the joke always includes it. Do our Kiwi cousins often have difficulty completing the job and hence leave early?

Let’s see if that one starts the war… :wink:

I just quoted Princhester so it would seem an Aussie is the non-shooter here. :smiley:

Time for a re-read of Princhester’s post, cousin. He was talking about a Kiwi, so obviously he is also aware of this… lack, that our cousins exhibit :wink:

The Aussie shooting record remains unblemished for now

Bastard! :o